Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Memories of being in the womb?

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    I was wondering why we can not remember any memories of being in the womb?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Because the parts of the brain responsible for conscious memory are not yet fully developed (and won't be until a few months after birth).

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

For me, it was a pretty uneventful time of my life. All I can remember is things being kind of mushy, and my fingers felt thick. Other than that, nada.

[edit: ps. It was also kind of like Florida. A bit on the "too warm" side, and incredible humidity.]

5. Apr 12, 2017 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

On a more serious side note, I blame mom on me not remembering anything more:

When Does Consciousness Arise in Human Babies?
    ...What is fascinating is the discovery that the fetus is actively sedated by the low oxygen pressure (equivalent to that at the top of Mount Everest), the warm and cushioned uterine environment and a range of neuroinhibitory and sleep-inducing substances produced by the placenta and the fetus itself: adenosine; two steroidal anesthetics, allopregnanolone and pregnanolone; one potent hormone, prostaglandin D2; and others. The role of the placenta in maintaining sedation
    ... In late gestation the fetus is in one of these two sleep states 95 percent of the time, separated by brief transitions.​

Probably a good idea. Had I woken up for more than a brief moment, I would have been shouting and kicking; "How long do you expect me to hold my breath in here! Hello!". At which point, I would have drowned. :oldcry:

hmmm....
    Thanks mom!

6. Apr 12, 2017 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

7. Apr 12, 2017 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Most people's earliest memories start when they are 2-3 years old. The brain is simply not well enough developed before then to lay down long term memories.

8. Apr 12, 2017 #7
    My own earliest memory is around age 3.
    My mother had to go do some work, (I think it was in a nearby confectionery factory), just a few hours for not bad pay.
    I was left with an 'auntie jean' (next door nieghbor in fact).
    It went OK mainly, but I absolutely refused to change into fresh clothes, Auntie Jean was not my Mum! ( but she was OK about it)

9. Apr 18, 2017 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think this is the best we can do at the moment, so thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook