1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Memorize alkanes for organic?

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    I receieved an online organic chemistry prep tool from my college. It includes a couple of sections on alkanes. Do I really need start memorizing all these hydrocarbons for my organic chemistry class?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2
    Just know the nomenclature rules and you'll be fine.

Edit: Compared to other organic compounds, alkanes are relatively inert, so you may want to keep in mind the few reactions they will generally undergo.
  4. Aug 14, 2007 #3
    I'd strongly recommend memorizing the alkanes, though the best way to do so is to use it and work with it. Have a table ready when you do problems, but try to remember each one before you look it up, and soon you'll not need the table.

There are only four alkanes to remember. The rest is just counting in Greek. See this as an oppertunity to brush up your Greek skills. ;)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?