Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Memorize periodic table

1. Aug 13, 2004 #1
    Does anyone have any interesting or easy ways to memorize the first, oh, 10 to 40 or so elements (only including the names and the abbv.)? thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard of some songs that use the abbreviations. So, is it 10 or 40 ? It really doesn't take any special trick to learn just 10 elements. Do you have a deadline ?

My suggestion : keep looking at a periodic table, and you'll soon get familiar with it.
    www.webelements.com has a nice one.

There's been a thread that is talking about this right now- looking for it now...got it !

Read (#5) here : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=285708#post285708 and join in. Chroot has a very interesting and supposedly very successful technique. I suggest you join in that thread.
  4. Aug 15, 2004 #3
    Thank you Goku, links are/were helpful

I personally came up with, hi-he-lie-be bokay-n-o flu-knee, thats the first 10 small abbv of the main words strung together, it works for me
  5. Aug 16, 2004 #4
    Personally I just know them from having lookedand studied them for about 5 years. I can name the names and symbols and the atomic mass of the first 23 elements in order. I believe I can name the first 54 elements in order.

Sad, I know, but that is life. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)
  6. Aug 16, 2004 #5
    The best looking table i found.

Nice looking and pretty good explanations.
  7. Aug 17, 2004 #6
    USE FLASH CARDS!!!! :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?