How many steps are needed to memorize in higher level math?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Apple_Mango
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of steps needed in higher level math, particularly in Calculus 3, and whether or not these steps need to be memorized. The expert advises that understanding the principles and having a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is more important than memorizing steps. They also suggest reviewing and relearning basic concepts if necessary. In regards to problem-solving, the expert emphasizes the importance of understanding rather than memorizing steps. They also mention that the number of steps may vary depending on the individual's skills and abilities. Lastly, the expert encourages the individual to learn rather than avoid learning algebra.
Apple_Mango
Hello, I am almost done with Algebra 1. I am curious to know how many steps do higher levels math like Calculus three have. I keep thinking how higher levels maths has 150 steps to memorize just for one equation. I hope my speculation isn't true. How many steps does an equation have once I got to higher levels maths like Cal 3? Are the amount of steps needed to memorize in higher level math as numerous as Algebra 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found in general that most of the more advanced mathematics really doesn't tax the memory all that much if you understand the principles that it is using. Learning the fundamentals is important, and it is important to have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to be ready for calculus. Calculus builds a lot off of these more basic subjects, and if you learn them well, calculus should not be too terribly difficult to understand. If anything, the part of the memory that calculus uses is being able to remember all the algebra, geometry, and trigonometry that you have previously learned. ## \\ ## Editing: One additional tip that may be helpful: If you forget some of the algebra, geometry, and trigonometry a few weeks or months after you have learned it, don't be afraid to go back and review it, and relearn it, if necessary. You are likely to find after relearning it a couple of times, that it really becomes committed to memory.

Likes symbolipoint
Apple_Mango said:
Hello, I am almost done with Algebra 1. I am curious to know how many steps do higher levels math like Calculus three have. I keep thinking how higher levels maths has 150 steps to memorize just for one equation. I hope my speculation isn't true. How many steps does an equation have once I got to higher levels maths like Cal 3? Are the amount of steps needed to memorize in higher level math as numerous as Algebra 2?
Even as an EE, I do a lot of manual math in my R&D work. There just don't seem to be too many automated computer tools that can help me do it, so I just work through the problems the best that I can. Here are parts of a calculation from a unique electronic filter design from today...You can see that in the end the solution is pretty obvious, but it takes many steps to get to the final simple solution.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/ZaOE1.png
ZaOE1.png

scaletowidth.png

Lfwcn.png

6fa2b37c7165c9cdc061b6b1f599f543--math-humor-funny-algebra-humor.jpg

Attachments

• ZaOE1.png
    ZaOE1.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 607
  • scaletowidth.png
    scaletowidth.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 931
  • Lfwcn.png
    Lfwcn.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 703
  • 6fa2b37c7165c9cdc061b6b1f599f543--math-humor-funny-algebra-humor.jpg
    6fa2b37c7165c9cdc061b6b1f599f543--math-humor-funny-algebra-humor.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 484
Likes Charles Link and fresh_42
Apple_Mango said:
No memorizing steps! You will need to UNDERSTAND. You will pick the steps in a problem as you go. Your knowledge and skills in Algebra will allow you to decide on any sequence of steps in a solution process.

Likes Charles Link and berkeman
Apple_Mango said:
STEPS MAY VARY.

Skills among any group of Algebra 2 students will also vary. Some students can make small mental step leaps in their heads better than other students in the group and therefore may need to use fewer steps on paper.

Learn, don't memorize.

AppleMango, you've probably put in ten times the effort in avoiding learning algebra than it would have taken to simply learn algebra.

Likes berkeman and CalcNerd

1. How can I improve my ability to memorize steps and math?

One effective way to improve your memorization skills is through practice and repetition. By consistently reviewing and practicing math problems, you can strengthen your memory and make it easier to recall steps and concepts.

2. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for memorizing steps and math?

Some popular techniques for memorization include creating mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or visual aids, breaking down complex problems into smaller chunks, and using spaced repetition to review material over time.

3. Can memorization hinder problem-solving abilities in math?

While memorization can be helpful in the initial stages of learning math, it is important to also understand the underlying concepts and be able to apply them in problem-solving. It is recommended to use a combination of memorization and critical thinking skills for optimal performance in math.

4. How can I stay motivated to continue memorizing steps and math problems?

Setting realistic goals and tracking your progress can help you stay motivated to continue memorizing steps and math problems. Additionally, breaking up study sessions into smaller, more manageable chunks can make the process less overwhelming and more enjoyable.

5. Is memorizing steps and math necessary for success in the field of science?

While having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in the field of science, memorization of steps is not the only factor. It is important to also understand the underlying concepts and be able to think critically and problem-solve. Additionally, there are many resources available, such as calculators and computer programs, that can assist with complex mathematical calculations.