Memory Foam Mattresses: Fact or Fiction?

• Thread starter philipc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, memory foam mattresses are very expensive, some people like them, and others don't think they are worth the price.
philipc
Memory Foam Mattress??

Commercials claim of the spectacular results seen by sleeping on a memory foam mattress, but I’ve yet to meet someone in person who actually owns one. By the advertisement, you would think everyone and his brother is now sleeping on one. Does anyone own one, and if so what do you think of it? Or is this just another hyped up sales gimmick?
Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
They are VERY expensive. I sent off for the info packet and received a sample of the foam. A queen size is like $1400.

I have a Tempur Pedic pillow and I can't sleep without it!

philipc said:
Commercials claim of the spectacular results seen by sleeping on a memory foam mattress, but I’ve yet to meet someone in person who actually owns one. By the advertisement, you would think everyone and his brother is now sleeping on one. Does anyone own one, and if so what do you think of it? Or is this just another hyped up sales gimmick?
Philip
I know someone that has a top of the line one and likes it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have a Tempur Pedic pillow and I can't sleep without it!

Give me about 4 of those right now (being nearly 9 months pregnant), and I might finally get a good night's sleep!

My brother has one (bad back) and he thinks it is great. He got it with an adjustable queen-size bed (not a krapp-matic). It contours itself to the body and gives good support I've tried it for a few minutes and it feels great. I don't know about heat trapping, however. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

KM

Thanks guys for all yall's replies. I also asked another group and one guy gave me this link,
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/
Bunch of good reading here, now think I may go with latex instead. Got to love forums, opinions from the ones who is NOT selling the product.
Philip

1. What is memory foam and how does it work?

Memory foam is a type of polyurethane foam that is known for its ability to conform to the shape of a person's body. This is due to the foam's viscoelastic properties, which allow it to respond to heat and pressure. When a person lays on a memory foam mattress, the foam softens and molds to their body, providing support and relieving pressure points.

2. Are memory foam mattresses better for people with back pain?

While memory foam mattresses can provide relief for some people with back pain, it is not a guarantee. The level of support and comfort provided by a memory foam mattress can vary depending on the individual's body type and sleeping position. It is important to try out different mattresses and find one that works best for your specific needs.

3. Do memory foam mattresses sleep hot?

There is a common misconception that memory foam mattresses sleep hot. While memory foam does retain heat, many modern memory foam mattresses have been designed with cooling properties, such as gel-infused foam or open-cell construction, to help regulate temperature and prevent overheating.

4. How long do memory foam mattresses last?

The lifespan of a memory foam mattress can vary depending on the quality and density of the foam, as well as the amount of use it receives. On average, a high-quality memory foam mattress can last anywhere from 8 to 10 years before needing to be replaced.

5. Are memory foam mattresses worth the investment?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and budget. Memory foam mattresses can be more expensive than traditional mattresses, but their ability to conform to the body and provide pressure relief can make them a worthwhile investment for those who prioritize comfort and support in their sleep. It is important to do research and try out different mattresses to find the best fit for your needs and budget.