Improve Your Memory for Solving Engineering Problems - Tips and Solutions

• Thread starter mk47k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary: I think its just a matter of practice.Eh, I meant for me. I also have a friend who smokes every day and is really sharp. I think its just a matter of practice.
mk47k
I'm a decent 2nd year engineering student. However my memory stinks. I am horrible at memorizing formulas or techniques for solving problems. I often resort to deriving basic stuff on exam and waste a lot of time/effort. Do any of you have the same problem? any solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only solution for you that I could think of would be to do more practice problems. Even if your memory is horrible you will remember the method eventually if you practice it enough. Don't just do the assigned problems, do a lot of extras until you find the number of problems that makes you remember the method.

Another thing I do that seems to work is not doing all the problems at once. If I do half of the homework and then do something else for a few ours or a day or two if possible then go back and finish it I am able to remember everything better on the test.

Have you tried flash cards? I have a dismal memory as well, but flash cards have never failed me.

Monocles said:
Have you tried flash cards? I have a dismal memory as well, but flash cards have never failed me.

Flash cards have helped me in the past. I had forgotten about them for a while, I will try them again! I guess I'm more of a visual learner.

mk47k said:
I'm a decent 2nd year engineering student. However my memory stinks. I am horrible at memorizing formulas or techniques for solving problems. I often resort to deriving basic stuff on exam and waste a lot of time/effort. Do any of you have the same problem? any solutions?

I don't see what is wrong of deriving things during a test, I do it all the time. Knowing how ideas are derived is essential to understanding how it works.

You say you have a hard time memorizing formulas. If its complicated you can derive it from more basic stuff, but if its a commonly used formula then you should remember by doing those problems.(Deriving the formulas shouldn't take very long, you should be very familiar with the process. If its very long to derive you should memorize them, use proportionality to help you.) Maybe review it before the test.

It's a totally different issue if you don't know techniques for problem solving. Its either you you don't understand the material or not doing enough problems.

My rule of thumb is that if you're studying any math/physics course with rote memorization, either (1)you are doing something wrong, or (2) your professor is doing something wrong. Of course, I know nothing about engineering, so my rule might not apply there, but still...

Are you getting enough sleep at night? Studies have shown that proper sleep is critical in forming memories. I find that if I do homework or study in the hour or two before I go to sleep, I wake up with a better understanding of the material than when I went to sleep.

One thing that helps me out is this. When I first learn a formula and then sit down to do the corresponding homework, I will write the generic formula down every time I need for a problem rather than writing the formula down filled in.

This way once you are done with your assignment you'll have written the thing down 20+ times.

It also helps me after doing the above, or really anytime, is when I am sitting at my desk messing around on the computer I'll write down all the formulas I'd learned that week.

I found that not smoking marijuana helped. :)

mathman44 said:
I found that not smoking marijuana helped. :)

Nonsense. I have a "friend" who has a memory better than anyone else I know and yet also smokes more than anyone else I know ;)

Mosis said:
Nonsense. I have a "friend" who has a memory better than anyone else I know and yet also smokes more than anyone else I know ;)

Eh, I meant for me. I also have a friend who smokes every day and is really sharp.

What causes memory to be terrible?

There are many factors that can contribute to poor memory including stress, lack of sleep, aging, and certain medical conditions. It is important to identify the underlying cause in order to address the issue effectively.

Can memory be improved?

Yes, memory can be improved through various techniques such as practicing memory exercises, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and engaging in regular physical activity. It is also important to challenge your brain with new and stimulating activities to keep it sharp.

How does memory work?

Memory is a complex process that involves three main stages: encoding, storage, and retrieval. First, information is encoded or processed by the brain. Then, it is stored in different parts of the brain depending on its importance. Finally, when needed, the brain retrieves the information from storage.

Is forgetfulness a normal part of aging?

Some degree of forgetfulness is considered a normal part of aging. However, if memory loss becomes severe and impacts daily functioning, it may be a sign of a more serious condition such as dementia. It is important to consult a healthcare professional if you have concerns about your memory.

How can I help improve my memory?

In addition to the techniques mentioned above, there are other things you can do to help improve your memory. These include staying mentally and socially active, using memory aids such as calendars and lists, and avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. It is also important to manage stress and maintain a positive attitude.