Realizing 8K x 8 Memory Module: ROM/RAM Addressing

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an 8K x 8 memory module using 2K x 8 ROM and RAM devices. The question asks about the number of devices needed and a memory map in hexadecimal notation. The response mentions that 1 2K x 8 ROM and 3 2K x 8 RAM devices are needed, and that there are 11 address lines for each device, but the address decoding does not require additional lines. The memory map is not provided, but it is mentioned that the same address lines are used for the decoder and the memory address bus.
Colours123
Question:

An 8K x 8 memory module consists of 2K x 8 of ROM which starts from address 1000H and 6K x 8 of RAM which starts from address 2000H. The module is to be realized using 2K x 8 RAM devices and 2K x 8 ROM devices. The RAM devices have active low write enable (WE) and active low chip enable (CE) inputs, while the ROM devices have active low chip enable (CE) inputs. The address decoding is to be done exhaustively.

(a) How many different SRAM and ROM memory devices are needed to realize the memory module?
(b) Draw a memory map of the memory module using hexadecimal notation. Show clearly the memory ranges occupied by the different memory devices in (a).I could not tally the number of addresses required for the memory module. It required 1 2K x 8 ROM and 3 2K x 8 RAM. 2K x 8 ROM/RAM needs 11 address line and another 2 more address lines for the input of the decoder, 4 more address lines for the address starting from 2000H. Then, wouldn't it be a total of 17 address lines and that exceeds 16 address lines?

I am not sure if I interpret it correctly, please show me guidance to the question. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Colours123 said:
Question:

An 8K x 8 memory module consists of 2K x 8 of ROM which starts from address 1000H and 6K x 8 of RAM which starts from address 2000H. The module is to be realized using 2K x 8 RAM devices and 2K x 8 ROM devices. The RAM devices have active low write enable (WE) and active low chip enable (CE) inputs, while the ROM devices have active low chip enable (CE) inputs. The address decoding is to be done exhaustively.

(a) How many different SRAM and ROM memory devices are needed to realize the memory module?
(b) Draw a memory map of the memory module using hexadecimal notation. Show clearly the memory ranges occupied by the different memory devices in (a).I could not tally the number of addresses required for the memory module. It required 1 2K x 8 ROM and 3 2K x 8 RAM. 2K x 8 ROM/RAM needs 11 address line and another 2 more address lines for the input of the decoder, 4 more address lines for the address starting from 2000H. Then, wouldn't it be a total of 17 address lines and that exceeds 16 address lines?

I am not sure if I interpret it correctly, please show me guidance to the question. Thank you.

You use the same address lines for the decoder as for the memory address bus, so that does not add extra lines. Can you show us the address map?

berkeman said:
You use the same address lines for the decoder as for the memory address bus, so that does not add extra lines. Can you show us the address map?

I am not sure if it is this way but I do not have enough address to select the chips.

Attachments

• A15.docx
    12.1 KB · Views: 219

1. How does a 8K x 8 memory module work?

A 8K x 8 memory module refers to a memory chip that has a capacity of 8 kilobytes and is organized in an 8-bit format. This means that the chip can store 8,192 bytes of data and each address location can hold 8 bits of data. It works by using a combination of address lines and data lines to access and store data in specific locations within the chip.

2. What is the difference between ROM and RAM in a 8K x 8 memory module?

ROM (Read-Only Memory) is a type of memory that can only be read from and cannot be written to. It is used to store permanent data, such as instructions for a computer's operating system. On the other hand, RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of memory that can be both read from and written to. It is used to store temporary data that can be accessed quickly by the computer.

3. How many address lines are needed for a 8K x 8 memory module?

A 8K x 8 memory module requires 13 address lines. This is because 8K (8,192) is the equivalent of 2^13, meaning 13 address lines are needed to access all 8,192 address locations within the chip.

4. Can a 8K x 8 memory module be used for both ROM and RAM?

Yes, a 8K x 8 memory module can be used for both ROM and RAM. This can be achieved by using a portion of the chip for ROM and the remaining portion for RAM. This allows for a more efficient use of space and reduces the need for multiple memory chips.

5. What are the benefits of using a 8K x 8 memory module for ROM and RAM addressing?

One of the main benefits of using a 8K x 8 memory module for ROM and RAM addressing is cost-effectiveness. It allows for a large amount of data to be stored in a small space, reducing the cost of manufacturing and components. Additionally, it provides faster access to data and instructions, improving the overall performance of the system.