RAM Memory Organization: Solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge

• Thread starter wingman-001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, the first organization should be 8x(512MBx8) and the second organization should be 4x(1024MBx16).
wingman-001

Homework Statement

This task is related to RAM memory organization. Question is:
"Which memory circuit organization is required on 4GB memory module if every circuit participate equally in 64-bit of memory module? Write at least two organizations."

Homework Equations

I don't know what should I use here but there are some formulas to use for sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start but solution should be something like 256x8 or something in that fashion.
I need steps with equations and explanation which lead to solution.
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work here before we can help.

What have you learned so far?

It seems this is a problem of drawing a circuit diagram.

Okay, there is one similar example which is solved.
Which organization is required in order to get memory size of 2GB by using 16 memory chips? And solution is:
D=2GB
Nic=16
----------
Nb | ic =?
Nb | ic = 64/16 = 4

Nd | ic = D / Nic = 2048MB / 16 = 128MB

Solution--> ORG=256Mbx4.

So, this example is very similar to my problem, but I don't know how to calculate.

This article may help:

https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~wl/teachlocal/arch1/notes/notes2.pdf

I already have that and I can't understand what I need to do. Anyway, I think this problem should resolve someone who knows computer architecture very good. I don't have a picture in my mind what should I do and how to start.

wingman-001 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start but solution should be something like 256x8 or something in that fashion.
I need steps with equations and explanation which lead to solution.
Per Physics Forums rules, this isn't going to happen (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, under Homework Guidelines):
Giving Full Answers:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.
We're happy to help you and guide you, but you need to do the bulk of the work.

wingman-001 said:
Okay, there is one similar example which is solved.
Which organization is required in order to get memory size of 2GB by using 16 memory chips? And solution is:
D=2GB
Nic=16
----------
Nb | ic =?
Nb | ic = 64/16 = 4

Nd | ic = D / Nic = 2048MB / 16 = 128MB

Solution--> ORG=256Mbx4.

So, this example is very similar to my problem, but I don't know how to calculate.

So why don't you use this example and give it a shot with your real numbers. Note: your requires at least two organizations. This implies that there isn't one single correct answer, therefore there might not be an equation to solve

donpacino said:
So why don't you use this example and give it a shot with your real numbers. Note: your requires at least two organizations. This implies that there isn't one single correct answer, therefore there might not be an equation to solve

I think that appropriate memory organizations for 4GB memory which is wide 64-bit are:

1.)
4096MB/8=512MB
8*8=64
so first organization should be 8x(512MBx8)

2.)
4096MB/4=1024MB
4*16=64
second one is: 4x(1024MBx16)

is this correct?

1. What is the 4GB Memory Module Challenge?

The 4GB Memory Module Challenge refers to the limitation of modern computer systems to only recognize and use up to 4GB of RAM (Random Access Memory) at a time. This poses a challenge for scientists and engineers to find ways to organize and utilize larger amounts of RAM in computer systems.

2. Why is it important to solve the 4GB Memory Module Challenge?

Solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge is important because it allows for larger amounts of data to be processed and stored in computer systems. This can improve the overall performance and speed of computers, making them capable of handling more complex tasks and data-intensive applications.

3. How do scientists approach solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge?

Scientists approach solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge by working on new memory architectures and technologies that can accommodate larger amounts of RAM. This involves researching and developing new methods of organizing and accessing memory, as well as improving existing technologies like DDR (Double Data Rate) and SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory).

4. What are some potential solutions to the 4GB Memory Module Challenge?

Some potential solutions to the 4GB Memory Module Challenge include using multi-channel memory architectures, where multiple memory modules are used simultaneously to increase the overall memory capacity. Another solution is the development of new memory technologies, such as 3D XPoint and HBM (High Bandwidth Memory), which offer higher densities and faster access speeds.

5. Are there any drawbacks to solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge?

One potential drawback to solving the 4GB Memory Module Challenge is the cost and complexity of implementing new memory technologies and architectures. This may result in higher costs for consumers and require significant changes to current computer systems. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with older systems and software, which may require updates or replacements.