1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Memory organization

1. Aug 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This task is related to RAM memory organization. Question is:
    "Which memory circuit organization is required on 4GB memory module if every circuit participate equally in 64-bit of memory module? Write at least two organizations."

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know what should I use here but there are some formulas to use for sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start but solution should be something like 256x8 or something in that fashion.
    I need steps with equations and explanation which lead to solution.
    Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You need to show some work here before we can help.

What have you learned so far?

It seems this is a problem of drawing a circuit diagram.

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3
    Okay, there is one similar example which is solved.
    Which organization is required in order to get memory size of 2GB by using 16 memory chips? And solution is:
    D=2GB
    Nic=16
    ----------
    Nb | ic =?
    Nb | ic = 64/16 = 4

Nd | ic = D / Nic = 2048MB / 16 = 128MB

Solution--> ORG=256Mbx4.

So, this example is very similar to my problem, but I dont know how to calculate.

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5
    I already have that and I can't understand what I need to do. Anyway, I think this problem should resolve someone who knows computer architecture very good. I don't have a picture in my mind what should I do and how to start.

7. Aug 12, 2015 #6

Mark44

Per Physics Forums rules, this isn't going to happen (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, under Homework Guidelines):
    We're happy to help you and guide you, but you need to do the bulk of the work.

8. Aug 17, 2015 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

So why don't you use this example and give it a shot with your real numbers. Note: your requires at least two organizations. This implies that there isn't one single correct answer, therefore there might not be an equation to solve

9. Aug 17, 2015 #8
    I think that appropriate memory organizations for 4GB memory which is wide 64-bit are:

1.)
    4096MB/8=512MB
    8*8=64
    so first organization should be 8x(512MBx8)

2.)
    4096MB/4=1024MB
    4*16=64
    second one is: 4x(1024MBx16)

is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted