The Science of Memory: Remembering Your Firsts

In summary, it is important to remember the order of the letters in order to remember the content of the conversations.
Physics news on Phys.org
Bah.

How did you do?
100%.

How many letters from each trial did you remember?
All.

Is there a "pattern" to the letters that you remembered?
How much more patterned can you get then "all"??

Graph your results for each set of numbers. One way to do this is to graph the number of letters you remembered as a percentage. For example, if you remembered 2 of the 4 letters presented in the second trial, then you have remembered 50% of the letters.
Code:
100%|  x  x  x  x  x  x
50% |
0%  |__________________
Trial: 1  2  3  4  5  6

Who's callin' me senile??

Last edited:
I got them all as well.

I got all of the first 5, but only remembered 7 of 12 in the 6th one. In the first 5, there was a good mix of vowels and consonents so I could remember them as nonsense words. Not so for the last one.

jimmysnyder said:
I got all of the first 5, but only remembered 7 of 12 in the 6th one. In the first 5, there was a good mix of vowels and consonents so I could remember them as nonsense words. Not so for the last one.

I got all of them, but had almost the same issue you did with the last one.

DaveC426913 said:
Bah. edit: humbug? <snippage>
Who's callin' me senile??

Children of any age are the primary cause of most age-related dementias and all poverty in middle class adults. :smile: So, you got kids, eh?

I don't know how much important the order of the letters is. For the 5th, I wrote down UR in the place of RP, and for the last I changed the order of 3 letters (which were in consecutive locations).

jim mcnamara said:
Children of any age are the primary cause of most age-related dementias and all poverty in middle class adults. :smile: So, you got kids, eh?

well...yeah...

1. How does the brain store memories?

The brain stores memories through a process called consolidation, which involves strengthening connections between neurons in the brain. Memories are stored in different areas of the brain depending on the type of memory (e.g. short-term vs long-term) and the sensory information involved.

2. Why do we remember some first experiences more vividly than others?

The strength of our memories is influenced by various factors such as emotional significance, repetition, and association with other memories. First experiences are often emotionally significant and unique, making them more likely to be remembered vividly.

3. Can memories be manipulated?

Yes, memories can be manipulated through a process called memory reconsolidation. This occurs when a memory is retrieved and then altered before being stored again. Memories can also be influenced by external factors such as suggestion or misinformation.

4. How can we improve our memory?

There are various techniques that can help improve memory, such as mnemonic devices, chunking information, and practicing retrieval of information. Engaging in activities that challenge the brain, such as puzzles and learning new skills, can also help improve memory.

5. Can memory be affected by age?

Yes, memory can be affected by age. As we get older, our brain's ability to form and retrieve memories may decline due to changes in the brain's structure and function. However, there are ways to improve and maintain memory as we age, such as staying physically and mentally active, and practicing good sleep habits.