Can a Man Inside a Box Move It?

• Thread starter cagdassalur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a man inside a box with wheels being able to move the box while inside. The speaker believes it is possible, but cannot prove it. They discuss the concept of center of mass and external forces, and conclude that while in an ideal world the man cannot move the box, in the real world he can use friction to his advantage.
cagdassalur
there is a box with wheels and man inside it.my teacher is said there is no way to man move the box while his inside. i said opposite. i know I am right but i can't prove. can you help me?

sry for bad eng.(not my natural lang.)

Physics news on Phys.org
cagdassalur said:
i know I am right but i can't prove. can you help me?
Then how do you know you're right? Why do you think you're right?

cagdassalur said:
there is a box with wheels and man inside it.my teacher is said there is no way to man move the box while his inside. i said opposite. i know I am right but i can't prove. can you help me?

sry for bad eng.(not my natural lang.)

It depends what you mean by "move".

i mean replace or something. box has wheels. i think I am right cos i can turn myself in my chair without touching the ground. i think if man jumps forth and back or hit the sides with shoulder box may move.

Question for you: If the center of mass of the "men+box" system is to accelerate, there must be an external force acting. What provides that force?

there is no external force as far as i know.

cagdassalur said:
there is no external force as far as i know.
Right. Assuming no friction, there is no external force available to move the center of mass. (Note that you cannot ignore friction in your example of you and your chair.)

Neglecting friction, the center of mass of the box/man system will remain in the same place. By moving inside the box the man can change the center of mass and thus the box's location.

For some fixed values of friction the man can take advantage of the fact that the static friction is typically higher than the moving friction and "store" that extra force over time by moving in a jerking manner.

If he accelerates slowly to one side the box will not move if the force of his acceleration is less than the static friction force. Then he can accelerate (decelerate) fast enough to slide the box a little.

The net forces add up to zero over time, but for short periods they could exceed the static friction forces in only one direction.

i understand now. thanks.

The distinction you may want to make with your teacher is whether the two of you are talking "real world" or "ideal world". In the ideal world, no, the man in the box cannot make it move. In the real world he can take advantage of friction to get the box to move.

1. What is the purpose of the men in a box experiment?

The purpose of the men in a box experiment is to study human behavior in confined spaces and understand the psychological and physical effects of isolation.

2. How long do the men stay inside the box?

The duration of the experiment varies, but typically the men stay inside the box for several days or even weeks. This allows for a more thorough observation of their behavior and reactions to the confined space.

3. Are the men aware of the purpose of the experiment?

Yes, the men are fully aware of the purpose of the experiment and have given their consent to participate. They are also briefed on the experiment before entering the box.

4. What measures are taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the men?

Before the experiment begins, the men undergo thorough physical and psychological evaluations to ensure they are fit for the experiment. They are also monitored closely during the experiment and have access to medical professionals if needed.

5. What are the potential ethical concerns surrounding the men in a box experiment?

Some ethical concerns include the potential harm to the participants' mental and physical health, and the lack of informed consent if the true purpose of the experiment is not fully disclosed. There are also concerns about the validity and generalizability of the results, as the experiment is conducted in an artificial and controlled environment.