Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Men only

1. Jul 14, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

This is the time to leave your, "better half", "the trouble and striffe", and talk
    man stuff, like beer There is just so many different brews like,
    Woodford Norfolk Nips
    Wessex Old Shag
    Wessex Gee Spot
    Wessexs Jock Srap
    Burton Bridge Tickle Brain
    It will take a while to sample them all, so plan on leaving the lady of the house
    for a week or two, this place is good for beer names http://www.1516beer.co.uk/british.htm

But there is Scotland, Wales, Isle Of Man, beers , better take a month or two.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..I've never had a Wessex Old Shag before.
    Perhaps I'll shack up with a nice old bear and try it out.

4. Jul 14, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Arildno, Check out I to R, you may like them.

5. Jul 14, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I got depressed by reading that.
    I'll end up with an Old Slug, I guess (or possibly, an Old Fart).

6. Jul 14, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

How about a pint of Cairngorm Sheepshagger, or Skinners jingle Knocker, or
    Beartown Bearskinful, Hmmm does she drink beer ?

7. Jul 14, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, Danger would like that Sheepshagger bit, and some other males would prefer the Tittesworth Tippler.
    I was sort of drawn towards that Battle Axe beer, though.

8. Jul 14, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

I have just learnt that some WOMEN like beer :surprised what ever next,
    belching blonds, butt scratching brunettes, i will have nigh mares now :yuck:

9. Jul 14, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

That do sound intriguing, but I might just stick with my Moosehead. And for you nature lovers, our local Big Rock Brewery produces Cock of the Walk (hi, Arlindo), Grasshopper, Magpie... and a dozen other things that don't actually have critter names. Grasshopper is made from wheat instead of barley. It has a nice light sort of flavour (best with a lime squeeze), but it leaves a headache like white wine.

10. Jul 14, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Hey Danger, do women drink pints in your neck of the woods, do they mingle
    with the chaps or form their own coven?

11. Jul 14, 2005 #10

Gza

guys, give me some advice if you can. i ended up getting drunk at a friends house and going to my girlfriends of two-weeks house, and smoking tobbacco out of a hookah with her and her friend, and being the drunken idiot i am, spilled the hot coals on one of her thighs, burning her (nothing serious, like a 1-2 cm burn on her inner thigh, burned the hell out of my hand too) at any rate, i deleted her number out of my phonebook, just out of sheer embarrassement for what happened (nearly burned her damn couch down too.) I really felt strong emotions for her during the time i've gotten to know her. I just don't know how to deal with this right now. She seemed totally okay with what happened, but I can't man up enough to deal with it myself, and have decided to stop talking to her altogether. I left her house almost in tears for what i have done, since she has been one of the most significant girlfriends i've had in the past 2 years. The collective intelligence of this board has saved me many times academically, but now i ask your help as a fellow man/woman(would love to hear your opinons moonbear/evo/mth), what do i do?

12. Jul 14, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Geez, man... I can't tell you how happy I'd be if that was the stupidest thing that I ever did with a woman. First off, the fact that she welcomed you in even though you were pissed and she had company is a pretty good indication that she digs you. If she's laughing off the burned-thigh incident, you're guaranteed in her good books. You'd be out of your bloody mind to cut off contact just because you're a bit embarrassed. Call her immediately, acknowledge that you weren't quite yourself and are sorry for any inconvenience, and ask her out to something that you know she'll enjoy so she'll have a good time even if you take a while to bring yourself up to speed. It sounds like you have one very special lady on the line, and if you blow it I will climb through my computer to kick your ass.

13. Jul 14, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry for the delay, but Geezer's post took priority. Women here drink everything. It's always a total intermingling, although some 'bunches' occur. If, for instance, a dozen people come in (say 8 women and 4 guys) as a group, they will interact with other established groups and so on until it's essentially one large group with constantly shifting sub-groups. Tonight, as an example, I was at the bar for my pool match. There's a duo that plays there every pool night, but the woman component thereof is at a jazz fest in Montreal this week so the guy's old partner was filling in. I stayed to shoot a few games with my team captain, and when he left I went over to the band table on their break. Scott had to go conduct some business, so I ended up spending most of the night with the new singer. The bar owner's girlfriend and an off-duty waitress joined in, and we had a great time. Likewise, a fellow that I haven't seen in 6 years showed up last week, and we ended up shooting until closing time, and a couple of guys that we never saw before got into playing doubles with us. Great times all around.

14. Jul 14, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Gza.

First off, you should be ashamed going to visit some one when drunk and high,
    What a plonker, now thats out of the way, the girl still likes you even though
    you burnt her? i think you should think your self very lucky and you should
    cherrish her and treat her with love and respect.
    Now get on the dog and bone and call her, and dont be so stupid again.

15. Jul 14, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:surprised
    Well, be that as it may, I just have to say that I HATE chattering, clinging hens you can't get past.

16. Jul 14, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

That sounds like a great place to mingle there is no where like that around
    here, seems im out of touch, i only know of one lady that drinks pints and
    she is a bit well___ and round this way women seem to group up and prefer
    chatting amongst them selfs, drinking anything but beer, but i never get
    to any big places where things may be different, think your self a lucky
    beggar :biggrin:

17. Jul 14, 2005 #16

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moosehead is moose piss :wink: . People in atlantic canada drink that beer all the time but it has to be a hot summer day for me to drink that.

I have tasted Big Rock beers. It is good beer but Grasshopper is not that god. Who decided to filter a wheat beer? Wheat beer are meant to be unfiltered.

As far as the local brew in Halifax goes, there Properller and Garrisson. Properller makes a fine porter and bitter but their light are not that good. Garrisson makes a good brown ale and irish red. The stout is not that good. They also make a rasberry wheat ale for the ladies.

I also make some fine beer at home. My roomates favorites include the IPA, the California Common, an Altbier, a banana wheat ale and a few other. I only have strong scotish ale and imperial stout left. Summer temperature are too hot to brew.

18. Jul 14, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Any one have brewing tips, favorite recipe, i like full bodied beer dark and
    tangy and not gassy.

19. Jul 14, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I did warn you... :tongue:

Big places??? This is a town of 13,000 people, with, as nearly as I can count, 12 bars. It's everyone knowing everyone else that makes the dynamic work the way it does. When someone new shows up, as in the guys we played pool with, they're part of the crowd by the time they leave and are still part of it when they return.

I'm not sure that I'd go that far, but the fact is that I normally drink Coors Light. I just brought up the oddball brands to show that the Brits aren't the only one's who can come up with squirrelly names. Fact is, there are very few Big Rock products that don't taste as if they've been filtered through a skunk.

20. Jul 14, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brewing tips?

Get to a proper brewery, and get some proper yeast. Makes such a difference!

My top 3 at the moment are Bishop's Finger, Pale Rider, and Spitfire. Yummo.

21. Jul 14, 2005 #20
    Clearly you are not the full english breakfast. Hot coals or hot rocks? If the latter a) it comes with the territory... no-one would hold that against you, and b) that would explain why you freaked out, and again no-one would think you were anything other than a total lightweight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?