Men only

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
This is the time to leave your, "better half", "the trouble and striffe", and talk
man stuff, like beer There is just so many different brews like,
Woodford Norfolk Nips
Wessex Old Shag
Wessex Gee Spot
Wessexs Jock Srap
Burton Bridge Tickle Brain
It will take a while to sample them all, so plan on leaving the lady of the house
for a week or two, this place is good for beer names http://www.1516beer.co.uk/british.htm

But there is Scotland, Wales, Isle Of Man, beers , better take a month or two.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Hmm..I've never had a Wessex Old Shag before.
Perhaps I'll shack up with a nice old bear and try it out.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
Arildno, Check out I to R, you may like them.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
I got depressed by reading that.
I'll end up with an Old Slug, I guess (or possibly, an Old Fart).
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
How about a pint of Cairngorm Sheepshagger, or Skinners jingle Knocker, or
Beartown Bearskinful, Hmmm does she drink beer ?
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Well, Danger would like that Sheepshagger bit, and some other males would prefer the Tittesworth Tippler.
I was sort of drawn towards that Battle Axe beer, though.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
I have just learnt that some WOMEN like beer :surprised what ever next,
belching blonds, butt scratching brunettes, i will have nigh mares now :yuck:
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
arildno said:
Well, Danger would like that Sheepshagger bit
That do sound intriguing, but I might just stick with my Moosehead. And for you nature lovers, our local Big Rock Brewery produces Cock of the Walk (hi, Arlindo), Grasshopper, Magpie... and a dozen other things that don't actually have critter names. Grasshopper is made from wheat instead of barley. It has a nice light sort of flavour (best with a lime squeeze), but it leaves a headache like white wine.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
Hey Danger, do women drink pints in your neck of the woods, do they mingle
with the chaps or form their own coven?
 

Gza

434
0
guys, give me some advice if you can. i ended up getting drunk at a friends house and going to my girlfriends of two-weeks house, and smoking tobbacco out of a hookah with her and her friend, and being the drunken idiot i am, spilled the hot coals on one of her thighs, burning her (nothing serious, like a 1-2 cm burn on her inner thigh, burned the hell out of my hand too) at any rate, i deleted her number out of my phonebook, just out of sheer embarrassement for what happened (nearly burned her damn couch down too.) I really felt strong emotions for her during the time i've gotten to know her. I just don't know how to deal with this right now. She seemed totally okay with what happened, but I can't man up enough to deal with it myself, and have decided to stop talking to her altogether. I left her house almost in tears for what i have done, since she has been one of the most significant girlfriends i've had in the past 2 years. The collective intelligence of this board has saved me many times academically, but now i ask your help as a fellow man/woman(would love to hear your opinons moonbear/evo/mth), what do i do?
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
Gza said:
what do i do?
Geez, man... I can't tell you how happy I'd be if that was the stupidest thing that I ever did with a woman. First off, the fact that she welcomed you in even though you were pissed and she had company is a pretty good indication that she digs you. If she's laughing off the burned-thigh incident, you're guaranteed in her good books. You'd be out of your bloody mind to cut off contact just because you're a bit embarrassed. Call her immediately, acknowledge that you weren't quite yourself and are sorry for any inconvenience, and ask her out to something that you know she'll enjoy so she'll have a good time even if you take a while to bring yourself up to speed. It sounds like you have one very special lady on the line, and if you blow it I will climb through my computer to kick your ass.
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
wolram said:
Hey Danger, do women drink pints in your neck of the woods, do they mingle
with the chaps or form their own coven?
Sorry for the delay, but Geezer's post took priority. Women here drink everything. It's always a total intermingling, although some 'bunches' occur. If, for instance, a dozen people come in (say 8 women and 4 guys) as a group, they will interact with other established groups and so on until it's essentially one large group with constantly shifting sub-groups. Tonight, as an example, I was at the bar for my pool match. There's a duo that plays there every pool night, but the woman component thereof is at a jazz fest in Montreal this week so the guy's old partner was filling in. I stayed to shoot a few games with my team captain, and when he left I went over to the band table on their break. Scott had to go conduct some business, so I ended up spending most of the night with the new singer. The bar owner's girlfriend and an off-duty waitress joined in, and we had a great time. Likewise, a fellow that I haven't seen in 6 years showed up last week, and we ended up shooting until closing time, and a couple of guys that we never saw before got into playing doubles with us. Great times all around.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
Gza.

First off, you should be ashamed going to visit some one when drunk and high,
What a plonker, now thats out of the way, the girl still likes you even though
you burnt her? i think you should think your self very lucky and you should
cherrish her and treat her with love and respect.
Now get on the dog and bone and call her, and dont be so stupid again.
 

arildno

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
9,948
130
Danger said:
That do sound intriguing, but I might just stick with my Moosehead. And for you nature lovers, our local Big Rock Brewery produces Cock of the Walk (hi, Arlindo),
:surprised
Well, be that as it may, I just have to say that I HATE chattering, clinging hens you can't get past.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
Danger said:
Sorry for the delay, but Geezer's post took priority. Women here drink everything. It's always a total intermingling, although some 'bunches' occur. If, for instance, a dozen people come in (say 8 women and 4 guys) as a group, they will interact with other established groups and so on until it's essentially one large group with constantly shifting sub-groups. Tonight, as an example, I was at the bar for my pool match. There's a duo that plays there every pool night, but the woman component thereof is at a jazz fest in Montreal this week so the guy's old partner was filling in. I stayed to shoot a few games with my team captain, and when he left I went over to the band table on their break. Scott had to go conduct some business, so I ended up spending most of the night with the new singer. The bar owner's girlfriend and an off-duty waitress joined in, and we had a great time. Likewise, a fellow that I haven't seen in 6 years showed up last week, and we ended up shooting until closing time, and a couple of guys that we never saw before got into playing doubles with us. Great times all around.
That sounds like a great place to mingle there is no where like that around
here, seems im out of touch, i only know of one lady that drinks pints and
she is a bit well___ and round this way women seem to group up and prefer
chatting amongst them selfs, drinking anything but beer, but i never get
to any big places where things may be different, think your self a lucky
beggar :biggrin:
 

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,317
2
Danger said:
That do sound intriguing, but I might just stick with my Moosehead. And for you nature lovers, our local Big Rock Brewery produces Cock of the Walk (hi, Arlindo), Grasshopper, Magpie... and a dozen other things that don't actually have critter names. Grasshopper is made from wheat instead of barley. It has a nice light sort of flavour (best with a lime squeeze), but it leaves a headache like white wine.
Moosehead is moose piss :wink: . People in atlantic canada drink that beer all the time but it has to be a hot summer day for me to drink that.

I have tasted Big Rock beers. It is good beer but Grasshopper is not that god. Who decided to filter a wheat beer? Wheat beer are meant to be unfiltered.

As far as the local brew in Halifax goes, there http://www.drinkpropeller.ca/beer/ [Broken]. Properller makes a fine porter and bitter but their light are not that good. Garrisson makes a good brown ale and irish red. The stout is not that good. They also make a rasberry wheat ale for the ladies.

I also make some fine beer at home. My roomates favorites include the IPA, the California Common, an Altbier, a banana wheat ale and a few other. I only have strong scotish ale and imperial stout left. Summer temperature are too hot to brew.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
Any one have brewing tips, favorite recipe, i like full bodied beer dark and
tangy and not gassy.
 

Danger

Gold Member
9,564
244
arildno said:
:surprised
I did warn you... :tongue:

wolram said:
i never get to any big places where things may be different, think your self a lucky beggar :biggrin:
Big places??? This is a town of 13,000 people, with, as nearly as I can count, 12 bars. It's everyone knowing everyone else that makes the dynamic work the way it does. When someone new shows up, as in the guys we played pool with, they're part of the crowd by the time they leave and are still part of it when they return.

iansmith said:
Moosehead is moose piss
I'm not sure that I'd go that far, but the fact is that I normally drink Coors Light. I just brought up the oddball brands to show that the Brits aren't the only one's who can come up with squirrelly names. Fact is, there are very few Big Rock products that don't taste as if they've been filtered through a skunk.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,701
7
Brewing tips?

Get to a proper brewery, and get some proper yeast. Makes such a difference!


My top 3 at the moment are Bishop's Finger, Pale Rider, and Spitfire. Yummo.
 
Gza said:
guys, give me some advice if you can. i ended up getting drunk at a friends house and going to my girlfriends of two-weeks house, and smoking tobbacco out of a hookah with her and her friend, and being the drunken idiot i am, spilled the hot coals on one of her thighs, burning her (nothing serious, like a 1-2 cm burn on her inner thigh, burned the hell out of my hand too) at any rate, i deleted her number out of my phonebook, just out of sheer embarrassement for what happened (nearly burned her damn couch down too.) I really felt strong emotions for her during the time i've gotten to know her. I just don't know how to deal with this right now. She seemed totally okay with what happened, but I can't man up enough to deal with it myself, and have decided to stop talking to her altogether. I left her house almost in tears for what i have done, since she has been one of the most significant girlfriends i've had in the past 2 years. The collective intelligence of this board has saved me many times academically, but now i ask your help as a fellow man/woman(would love to hear your opinons moonbear/evo/mth), what do i do?
Clearly you are not the full english breakfast. Hot coals or hot rocks? If the latter a) it comes with the territory... no-one would hold that against you, and b) that would explain why you freaked out, and again no-one would think you were anything other than a total lightweight.
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,551
1,682
Gza said:
i ended up getting drunk at a friends house and going to my girlfriends of two-weeks house, and smoking tobbacco out of a hookah with her and her friend, and being the drunken idiot i am, spilled the hot coals on one of her thighs, burning her (nothing serious, like a 1-2 cm burn on her inner thigh, burned the hell out of my hand too)
Don't do that again.
Gza said:
. . . She seemed totally okay with what happened, but I can't man up enough to deal with it myself, and have decided to stop talking to her altogether. I left her house almost in tears for what i have done, since she has been one of the most significant girlfriends i've had in the past 2 years. The collective intelligence of this board has saved me many times academically, but now i ask your help as a fellow man/woman(would love to hear your opinons moonbear/evo/mth), what do i do?
Get man enough and talk to her. You can't change the past, but you can deal with the present and affect the future. If she's that important (and even if she is not) - then deal with it. Go see her, or ask her friend for her phone number, and give her a call!

As for beer - www.beeradvocate.com - excellent site for beer connoiseurs.

Speaking of brand names, we have - http://www.arrogantbastard.com/index2.html [Broken] :biggrin:

And I would have to agree with Ian, Moosehead and Coors light and most popular commercial US/Canadian brands are piss. Then again, I like the heavier stuff like stouts (e.g. Guinness) and Belgian beers (e.g. Chimay).

Drink in moderation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
As for beer - www.beeradvocate.com - excellent site for beer connoiseurs

That is a great site astro, that beer soaked meat sounds real good, i think
i will try soon.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,867
2,343
Gza said:
guys, give me some advice if you can. i ended up getting drunk at a friends house and going to my girlfriends of two-weeks house, and smoking tobbacco out of a hookah with her and her friend, and being the drunken idiot i am, spilled the hot coals on one of her thighs, burning her (nothing serious, like a 1-2 cm burn on her inner thigh, burned the hell out of my hand too) at any rate, i deleted her number out of my phonebook, just out of sheer embarrassement for what happened (nearly burned her damn couch down too.) I really felt strong emotions for her during the time i've gotten to know her. I just don't know how to deal with this right now. She seemed totally okay with what happened, but I can't man up enough to deal with it myself, and have decided to stop talking to her altogether. I left her house almost in tears for what i have done, since she has been one of the most significant girlfriends i've had in the past 2 years. The collective intelligence of this board has saved me many times academically, but now i ask your help as a fellow man/woman(would love to hear your opinons moonbear/evo/mth), what do i do?
CALL HER!!! If she doesn't want to date you because you're a klutz, then it's better to find out now. If she really does like you, this little incident will not matter. CALL HER!!
 

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,317
2
wolram said:
Any one have brewing tips, favorite recipe
As brewnog point out, get a good yeast. I recommed that you buy liquid yeast and prepare a yeast starter because by the time your wort is ready your yeast be in full gear and ready to ferment. Also, keep the temperature of the room constant and between 18 to 20 C for ales. For larger, you will need temperature ranging from 8 to 15 C. The canadian is good to make lager. If the temperature is above recommended temperature then the yeast starts to create some unwanted compound that affect the beers flavour.


As far make the wort, an all-grain requires a lot of special equipement and it might be harder to do. The next best thing is a extract with grain recipe (EG). Malt extract will give good tasting beer. The grain will help to give better colour and enhance the taste of the beer. Also with an EG you will add hops and will enable to have more control over the aroma and the bitterness. An EG takes about 2 hours to prepare. 30 minutes soacking the grains, 30 minutes to bring to a boil and 1 hour boiling the worth.

I recommed that you stay away from kits but for those that are canadian you may want to consider a Festabrew kit. It is wort from a microbrewery in ontario.

As far as recipe goes, visit the beer recipator, http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes [Broken]
The site also has a spreadsheet that help you create recipe.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
4,223
551
iansmith

As far as recipe goes, visit the beer recipator, http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipes [Broken]
The site also has a spreadsheet that help you create recipe.

That is a great site i have book marked it for future use, thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Related Threads for: Men only

  • Posted
2
Replies
26
Views
3K
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Posted
Replies
15
Views
5K
  • Posted
2
Replies
35
Views
3K
  • Posted
2
Replies
36
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • Posted
10 11 12
Replies
277
Views
10K
  • Posted
Replies
19
Views
2K
  • Posted
3 4 5
Replies
120
Views
19K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top