Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Men who wear rings

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

So I've had this nice ring for a while, its the 'This too shall pass' kind of ring given to king Solomon by one of his wisemen. I also have a titanium band ring for my pinky, and a sterling silver blue sapphire skull ring. What fingers do you prefer? I have it on my left pinky, left middle, right pinky, and thinking of going for right thumb next. Anyone else wear any rings?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2010 #2
    I have a small twisted copper ring on my left ring finger. It happens to be the only finger it fits on hehe.

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

No. For many years I worked in industrial environments, and worked on my own cars, bikes, etc. I made money playing guitar, too, and was a bit possessive about my fingers, thank you very much. Rings are a great way to strip the flesh off your fingers, should they get snagged on something.

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I knew a guy that had a finger get ripped off his hand because the ring got caught on a piece of equipment as he was moving. He couldn't recover the finger to have it reattached, and it was probably mangled too badly anyway.

My wedding band is the only ring I wear.

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

An older friend of mine nearly lost his ring finger when his wedding ring formed a path between hot and ground on his pulp truck (24 volt system). The ring had to be cut off - thankfully the finger was saved. I have never had a wedding band.

I made a couple of rings for myself - gold gypsy mount with tsavorite (rare green garnet from Kenya) that I faceted, and a silver mount with an aquamarine that I faceted. Both were worn for dress only and were put away when I returned home at the end of the day. Frankly, I don't know where either of them is and haven't seen them since we moved to this cabin 5 years ago.

7. Aug 18, 2010 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I read the threads title, I figured this would be brought up.
    Dad told me about one of his friends that whet in for a lay-up in a hoop nailed to a barn wall. Well, his ring hooked the head of a nail while he was coming down. He made it, but the finger didn't.
    An old ham buddy got his finger/w ring lined up with a antenna trans-match coil. 1 kwatt transmitter IIRC. Ever seen a ring get cherry red in less than a second?

8. Aug 18, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I haven't seen that, of course. But I have befriended lots of old hams who would give me transformers, chassis, tubes, etc that I could use to restore old tube amps. About 1980 or so, the hams realized that the only people who would carry on their work were us retro-nuts who loved old tube guitar amps.

9. Aug 18, 2010 #8
    I occasionally wear a tungsten carbide replica One Ring (from Lord of the Rings) on my left middle finger.

10. Aug 18, 2010 #9

cronxeh

Gold Member

Nice Jack, that is really pimping.

11. Aug 18, 2010 #10
    If people are going to judge me based on what I wear, I at least want them to have an accurate prejudice. That's why I wear shirts from xkcd and thinkgeek, too.

12. Aug 18, 2010 #11

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah I have a linux tshirt and a blanky from thinkgeek, but on a more serious note.. of course no geek wants to come across as a thug with skullcap harley davidson rings and whatnot. I also don't quite understand the celtic rings.

But wait a minute, why would you care what people might think of you?

13. Aug 18, 2010 #12
    Makes it easier for them to self-select into my life, whether as a friend, acquaintance, study partner, etc. I don't want somebody who wants to hang out with somebody cool to discover that I'm an unabashed geek later on. I also wouldn't want somebody to keep their distance from me when if they knew I was a geek, they'd talk to me.

I figure I'm going to be stereotyped no matter what I do, so I figure it's easier to at least be stereotyped correctly, or close to it.

14. Aug 18, 2010 #13

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yes it is a common problem. I find it best to study alone, and only surround myself with people that I like. Its just too unpredictable if you let others choose your friends for you. Its like being used but on a more boring scale. It is easier to come off as anti-social to everyone, while being interested to those you like, thus distilling the best possible friends for your collection. I have some friends who are afraid to talk to me unless I initiate a conversation, and even though it may seem strange, it works out for the both of us in the long run.

15. Aug 18, 2010 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

I think one ring on the right pinky is better for guys...

16. Aug 18, 2010 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't wear rings anymore.

17. Aug 18, 2010 #16

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

18. Aug 19, 2010 #17
    I've been wearing this small silver thing I found along side the road when our car broke down just into Yellowstone in late June, it only fits my index so its on my right, lets me still pluck away at the guitar.

19. Aug 19, 2010 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I have something to contribute here, but at the moment I'm too inebriated. I'll post tomorrow to clarify things.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook