Men Who Wear Rings: Finger Placement & Preferences

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, rings are a great way to strip the flesh off your fingers, should they get snagged on something.
cronxeh
Gold Member
So I've had this nice ring for a while, its the 'This too shall pass' kind of ring given to king Solomon by one of his wisemen. I also have a titanium band ring for my pinky, and a sterling silver blue sapphire skull ring. What fingers do you prefer? I have it on my left pinky, left middle, right pinky, and thinking of going for right thumb next. Anyone else wear any rings?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a small twisted copper ring on my left ring finger. It happens to be the only finger it fits on hehe.

No. For many years I worked in industrial environments, and worked on my own cars, bikes, etc. I made money playing guitar, too, and was a bit possessive about my fingers, thank you very much. Rings are a great way to strip the flesh off your fingers, should they get snagged on something.

turbo-1 said:
No. For many years I worked in industrial environments, and worked on my own cars, bikes, etc. I made money playing guitar, too, and was a bit possessive about my fingers, thank you very much. Rings are a great way to strip the flesh off your fingers, should they get snagged on something.
I knew a guy that had a finger get ripped off his hand because the ring got caught on a piece of equipment as he was moving. He couldn't recover the finger to have it reattached, and it was probably mangled too badly anyway.

My wedding band is the only ring I wear.

An older friend of mine nearly lost his ring finger when his wedding ring formed a path between hot and ground on his pulp truck (24 volt system). The ring had to be cut off - thankfully the finger was saved. I have never had a wedding band.

I made a couple of rings for myself - gold gypsy mount with tsavorite (rare green garnet from Kenya) that I faceted, and a silver mount with an aquamarine that I faceted. Both were worn for dress only and were put away when I returned home at the end of the day. Frankly, I don't know where either of them is and haven't seen them since we moved to this cabin 5 years ago.

turbo-1 said:
When I read the threads title, I figured this would be brought up.
Astronuc said:
I knew a guy that had a finger get ripped off his hand because the ring got caught on a piece of equipment as he was moving. He couldn't recover the finger to have it reattached, and it was probably mangled too badly anyway.

My wedding band is the only ring I wear.
Dad told me about one of his friends that whet in for a lay-up in a hoop nailed to a barn wall. Well, his ring hooked the head of a nail while he was coming down. He made it, but the finger didn't.
turbo-1 said:
An older friend of mine nearly lost his ring finger when his wedding ring formed a path between hot and ground on his pulp truck (24 volt system). The ring had to be cut off - thankfully the finger was saved. I have never had a wedding band.

I made a couple of rings for myself - gold gypsy mount with tsavorite (rare green garnet from Kenya) that I faceted, and a silver mount with an aquamarine that I faceted. Both were worn for dress only and were put away when I returned home at the end of the day. Frankly, I don't know where either of them is and haven't seen them since we moved to this cabin 5 years ago.
An old ham buddy got his finger/w ring lined up with a antenna trans-match coil. 1 kwatt transmitter IIRC. Ever seen a ring get cherry red in less than a second?

dlgoff said:
An old ham buddy got his finger/w ring lined up with a antenna trans-match coil. 1 kwatt transmitter IIRC. Ever seen a ring get cherry red in less than a second?
I haven't seen that, of course. But I have befriended lots of old hams who would give me transformers, chassis, tubes, etc that I could use to restore old tube amps. About 1980 or so, the hams realized that the only people who would carry on their work were us retro-nuts who loved old tube guitar amps.

I occasionally wear a tungsten carbide replica One Ring (from Lord of the Rings) on my left middle finger.

Jack21222 said:
I occasionally wear a tungsten carbide replica One Ring (from Lord of the Rings) on my left middle finger.

Nice Jack, that is really pimping.

cronxeh said:
Nice Jack, that is really pimping.

If people are going to judge me based on what I wear, I at least want them to have an accurate prejudice. That's why I wear shirts from xkcd and thinkgeek, too.

Jack21222 said:
If people are going to judge me based on what I wear, I at least want them to have an accurate prejudice. That's why I wear shirts from xkcd and thinkgeek, too.

Yeah I have a linux tshirt and a blanky from thinkgeek, but on a more serious note.. of course no geek wants to come across as a thug with skullcap harley davidson rings and whatnot. I also don't quite understand the celtic rings.

But wait a minute, why would you care what people might think of you?

cronxeh said:
Yeah I have a linux tshirt and a blanky from thinkgeek, but on a more serious note.. of course no geek wants to come across as a thug with skullcap harley davidson rings and whatnot. I also don't quite understand the celtic rings.

But wait a minute, why would you care what people might think of you?

Makes it easier for them to self-select into my life, whether as a friend, acquaintance, study partner, etc. I don't want somebody who wants to hang out with somebody cool to discover that I'm an unabashed geek later on. I also wouldn't want somebody to keep their distance from me when if they knew I was a geek, they'd talk to me.

I figure I'm going to be stereotyped no matter what I do, so I figure it's easier to at least be stereotyped correctly, or close to it.

Jack21222 said:
Makes it easier for them to self-select into my life, whether as a friend, acquaintance, study partner, etc. I don't want somebody who wants to hang out with somebody cool to discover that I'm an unabashed geek later on. I also wouldn't want somebody to keep their distance from me when if they knew I was a geek, they'd talk to me.

I figure I'm going to be stereotyped no matter what I do, so I figure it's easier to at least be stereotyped correctly, or close to it.

Yes it is a common problem. I find it best to study alone, and only surround myself with people that I like. Its just too unpredictable if you let others choose your friends for you. Its like being used but on a more boring scale. It is easier to come off as anti-social to everyone, while being interested to those you like, thus distilling the best possible friends for your collection. I have some friends who are afraid to talk to me unless I initiate a conversation, and even though it may seem strange, it works out for the both of us in the long run.

I think one ring on the right pinky is better for guys...

I don't wear rings anymore.

Evo said:
I don't wear rings anymore.

:rofl:

I've been wearing this small silver thing I found along side the road when our car broke down just into Yellowstone in late June, it only fits my index so its on my right, let's me still pluck away at the guitar.

I have something to contribute here, but at the moment I'm too inebriated. I'll post tomorrow to clarify things.

1. Why do men wear rings on different fingers?

There is no one specific reason why men wear rings on different fingers. Some may choose to wear a ring on their ring finger to symbolize marriage or a committed relationship, while others may wear a ring on their pinky finger as a fashion statement. Additionally, cultural and religious traditions may dictate which finger a ring is worn on.

2. Is there a significance to the placement of a ring on a man's finger?

In some cultures, the placement of a ring on a man's finger may hold symbolic meaning. For example, in some Asian cultures, a ring on the index finger may symbolize authority and power. However, in Western cultures, there is no specific significance to the placement of a ring on a man's finger.

3. Do men have a preferred finger to wear a ring on?

There is no one preferred finger for men to wear a ring on. Some may have personal preferences based on comfort or style, while others may follow cultural or religious traditions. Ultimately, the choice of which finger to wear a ring on is a personal one.

4. Can men wear multiple rings on one hand?

Yes, men can wear multiple rings on one hand. However, it is important to consider the overall look and balance of the rings. Too many rings on one hand may appear cluttered or overwhelming.

5. Are there any societal stigmas surrounding men who wear rings?

In some cultures, there may be societal stigmas surrounding men who wear rings, particularly on certain fingers. However, attitudes are changing and it is becoming more accepted for men to wear rings as a form of self-expression and personal style.