1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mendelian crossings problems

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    I GOT IT nevermind thanks

i would really appreciate some help on this,
    swamped with studies and my brain won't wrap around the mendelian gene crossings

here's one:
    Base height of a plant is 10 cm. Four genes contribute to the height, and each dominant allele contributes 3 cm to height. If you cross a 10-cm plant (quadruply homozygous recessive) with a 34-cm plant, how many phenotypic classes will there be in the F2?

so i subtracted 10 from 34 =24. Dividing by 3 I get 8- so does that mean 8 dominant alleles present in one of the parents? don't really know where to go from there..

and another:
    In guinea pigs the brown coat color allele (B) is dominant over red (b), and the solid color allele (S) is dominant over spotted (s). The F1 offspring of a cross between true-breeding brown, solid-colored guinea pigs and red, spotted pigs are crossed. What proportion of their offspring (F2) would be expected to be red and solid colored?

-so is one of the F1 BBSS? And the other bbss? So I don't understand how I can get a red?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?