Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MEng and MSc - Differences, recognition, which one?

  1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    Hello there people.

    First of all, I'd like to thank in advance to all of you for the attention given to this post.

    I'm in the final semester of my Undergraduated Electrical Engineering course, in Portugal.
    I'm thinking to take a Master Degree in UK (here is where I have doubts), and maybe stay there working.

    What I've seen, there is a MEng and MSc degree, which some people says that it's indiferent which one we should pick (I read, don't know where, that MEng and MSc have or might have the same program - It's true?)

    What I've read about those 2 is that, the MEng is like a Bachelor + Master in Engineering. BSc and MSc are Bachelor and Master in Science.

    1º Could someone explain me what is the difference between them two?
    2º I've read that, the best combination is BEng and then MSc. Others, only MEng. Now I want to ask you guys what difference makes choosing one or other?

    In advance, I'd like to take the example here in Portugal, that you'll know what I mean.

    Here in Portugal we have the Undergraduated degree in Engineering that takes 3 years. Then the graduated Master degree in engineering, that takes 2 years.

    1st situation: We can take the undergraduated degree, and then the master degree in engineering. This can be done in different universities/higher institutes.

    2nd situation: There is some sort of MEng, that is the Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree, integrated. When I say integrated, means that if you choose to make the integrated Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree you'll be only "engineer" or "graduated" if you complete the 5 years. If you make only the 3 years there is no "title" or some sort of thing like that. (I hope that you can understand what I wrote)

    3rd situation: If I take the Undergraduated degree, for example in Electrical Engineering (3years) and then I want to make a Graduated Master degree in physics (2 years), from the integrated Undergraduated degree + Graduated Master degree in physics that is possible. Summarizing, I can take only the master degree "part" from other area than Electrical Engineering, like physics.

    Now, one of my doubts is related to 3rd situation, comparing this Portugues "method", if I can call it like that, and the UK.

    Since I'll take my Undergraduated degree in Electrical Engineering here in Portugal, can I take the MEng in Electrical Engineering from a UK university doing only the Masters "part", and then get the MEng "title"?

    I ask this because all the MSc (since theres is the Master "MEng" part alone) are very specific. For example, I'd like to take the Master in Electronics, but there is no MSc (that is a "stand alone" degree) in Electronics (I think. Well, maybe the Edinburgh University. But not the universities that I might be interested, like Imperial College of London, UCL, King's College of London). The electronics field that those universities have are for example, Digital Signal Processing, Analogue Circuit Design (a very specific part of electronics). So, I thought that doing only the Master "part" of a MEng would be a good solution.

    Can you guys enlighten me for the best solution, since I'm from another country (even in UE, but still other country) and I want to work in UK?

    Best regards and thanks for the attention.

  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted