1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MEng or MSc?

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone I was hoping I could get some help in making a decision between MEng or MSc. My third year starts from next week and I have recently transferred from BEng to MEng but I am still not sure if I wanna do MEng. I have done some research and found out that MSc is more specialized towards a particular topic, which is why I think MSc is better than MEng. But if I continue doing MEng at my current University it would mean that I have to pay less fees and I could also apply for students loan. However if I decide to do MSc then it would mean that I have to change my University, I am aiming for Cranfield, which is better than my current University but this would mean that I have pay around £9000 for the tuition fees + living cost on my own.
    What do you guys think is the better option? What do you think is better? MSc or MEng? I would say one of the reason why I am not entirely convinced with doing MEng at my current University is that I could go to a better University next year to do MSc, provided I get the right grades.
    Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    I think it makes little difference to employers if that's what you're concerned about.

An MSc may be beneficial if the area it is in is related to the job you are applying for.

The fee's dilema must be a pain, I couldn't advise you either way. Maybe, I would say to do the MEng unless you find an MSc that really interests you.

Good luck

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    An MSc usually requires writing a thesis, whereas the MEng degree may only require a small project. From my own experience pursuing an MSc, I will say that the research was by far the most difficult part, but it was also the most rewarding. The choice depends on your preference and which degree you think will be most beneficial to you personally.

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind the distinction between the two degrees differs depending on what part of the world you are in. I am not familiar enough with the standards in the UK to give you a good answer, but keep this fact in min when sifting through responses you get.

6. Sep 20, 2012 #5
    That's a good point I forgot to mention.

Which is odd considering I'm in the middle of writing my MSc thesis.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6
    I can't necessarily say I have any good evidence to back this up, but A Meng. should be more broad, and thus more useful to employers in various situations. I would choose MEng. for this reason, especially with the extra fees that apply if you go towards an MSci.

8. Sep 21, 2012 #7
    Agree with X89.

I have MEng, chose not to pursue MS because that particular university wanted to make MS students applied mathematicians more than advanced-studied engineers.

Going broad has served me well in my career, kept me nimble and for the most part employed and employable. The MS would have been necessary if I chose to pursue Ph.D. (never!) but otherwise would have put a narrow restriction on me.

Employers usually don't care, certainly the weasels in the HR department don't have any idea.

9. Sep 22, 2012 #8
    Do the MEng. It's cheaper and many MSc degrees are not accredited, whereas almost all MEng degrees are.

10. Sep 22, 2012 #9
    Thank you very much for your replies guys. I very much appreciate you taking time to help me with this silly situation. Although I am not entirely sure, I think I will stick to MEng for now.

I think this is a question I should rather ask my University but say after the completion of my third year of MEng next year I say to my University "ok I don't wanna do my final year of MEng so can you give me a certificate to say that I have completed a BEng" and then I go to do a MSc from a different and perhaps better University.

11. Sep 22, 2012 #10
    That's essentially the same question, just worded differently.

What university are you at now? Why did you go there if you don't think it's good enough? What are your pre-university grades?

The last question is actually quite important because many companies nowadays have a minimum UCAS points tariff, and if you're at a "not so good" university you're probably there because you didn't do so well at secondary school/college and don't have many UCAS points. So you may end up paying thousands of pounds for a masters only to be rejected from many jobs, regardless of how well you've performed at university (both under and postgraduate), because your A-levels or equivalent weren't good enough. Something to consider.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook