Where's Our General Lifestyle Magazine? - For Men

• Thread starter pace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation is discussing the lack of general lifestyle magazines for men, with the majority of magazines either focused on fashion or entertainment. The conversation also touches on the idea that men are perceived as either computer nerds, fashion maniacs, or party animals, and the desire for a magazine that covers a wider range of topics such as relationships, health, and general interests. The participants also mention the potential success of such a magazine and the belief that men are interested in reading casually and learning more about relationships.

Men, do we need this sort of magazine(something near my FM example below) ?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I'm a female, and I think you should have it.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I'm a female, and I don't think you need it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care/No idea.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
pace
Why is there gazzillion of straight/normal magazines for women, and not a single one for men ?

For men, Either you have these really harry party magazines lotsa girls and party drinks and so on, mostly harry stuff. Or you got these 95% fashion magazines... Or you got 99% computer. Or science de-ultra-mania.

Do they only see us as we gotto be either computer nerds, fasion maniacs, or girl crazy party animals ? We can't be something near the middle? Only women can be ? B/S!

I know I'm not the only one who have to look up in women magazines to see some newest, actually serious survey between men and women. What do you have in the men's appartment? FHM's oppinion ? Yeah right, what do they say?: ''Go get them tiger!'', or one sexy weird women who says ''I like a man with lotsa muscles!'' , oh thanks for that info FHM!

Where's fickin' ONE single normal, cool and interesting general lifestyle magazine for us guys ?

Let's say you put in this much of different issues(let's just call this example FM, 'For Men'):

5% Starting article/(or) recent news comments.
20% Entertainment (-reviews) (movies, books, games, social events or clubs)
20% Men-women related stuff. (Relationships, sex, etc.) (from more men'ish point of veiw, of course)
15% Clothers.
10% Science (lighter'ish presented probably).
10% Commercials.
10% Interview(s).
10& General, or all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What about men's health? Or sports illustrated?

For what you're talking about, there's People, TIME, NEWSWEEK, etc.. They may not be called men's magazines, but a lot of the advertising is targeted at men.

Greetings !

Women are interested in finding out many things about
many different subjects in magazines - a kind of
their ussual gossip "extension". Men don't like wasting
their time on reading about stuff they're not interested
in and when they read what's they're interested in
it's more specific stuff not a few things here and there.
Thus men's magazines need to focus on one subject and
offer as much info on it as possible so that a man
would find some aspects he's interested in and'll read about
them. A general magazine will cover subjects superficially
and contain many that men are just not interested in -
'cause we don't like wasting our time. Thus, such magazines
simply won't sell - which is the reason for the present
situation, not some dilibarate conspiracy or something.
The simple old "follow the money". :wink:

Live long and prosper.

Be carefull with your generalizations drag.

I don't believe at all that men only need magazines that almost fully on one subject. We like these tabloid newspapers too.

Just because it's wide in knowledge, doesn't mean it's superficial.
And we don't just read things because we want information, but also because it pleasures us.
And women like to ''waste away'' their time on these broad things ?

Sure, a many men couldn't care less about this sort of magazine. But I think there's actually a lot of people out there that would want a magazine like this. So, it's in my view that's this is not just a thing that's easily earned on, but also a thing that many men are looking after. But it's sadly very few things like this out there.
I honestly think that this is of help for men, but also that it's a thing that really will sell very well when it's first out there. So much that, when it's first out there, it's going to be many of them, and they're going to sell a lot.

Originally posted by Zantra
What about men's health? Or sports illustrated?

For what you're talking about, there's People, TIME, NEWSWEEK, etc.. They may not be called men's magazines, but a lot of the advertising is targeted at men.

Time is okay, but it's a little too scientific and serious to be read casually and likingly.
Men's health and sports illustrated is far too bodish, imo. And has some weird oppinions too.
Think more Cosmopolitian'ish. But more man'ish of course. Thus, more entertainment and science.

Admit it, women is scoring better than us in all school subjects. It's time we also learn to like better to read casually. Things doesn't have to be 95% serious or one-minded all the time.

And we need men magazines that seriously go on relationsships seen a little more from men's side, we probably will recognize and like reading about things more that way too.
But not as one-sided, and unserious imnsho, as many are now. Men aren't, and don't take, themself serious enough.
It's in my vague impression that women is becoming better because of all the info and relationship info they read, they work well not only in marriage, but also between each other.
Men are afraid to read because they're afraid to become 'feminine', they much more become alone, often numbly so, but thus also less and less unintelligent.

Who said relationship is feminine ?

Last edited:
Greetings !
Originally posted by pace
I don't believe at all that men only need magazines that almost fully on one subject. We like these tabloid newspapers too.
I sure don't.
Just because it's wide in knowledge, doesn't mean it's superficial.
And we don't just read things because we want information, but also because it pleasures us.
Of course. Men don't want there to be difference between
these two factors and thus ussualy there is none.
Sure, a many men couldn't care less about this sort of magazine. But I think there's actually a lot of people out there that would want a magazine like this. So, it's in my view that's this is not just a thing that's easily earned on, but also a thing that many men are looking after. But it's sadly very few things like this out there.
I honestly think that this is of help for men, but also that it's a thing that really will sell very well when it's first out there. So much that, when it's first out there, it's going to be many of them, and they're going to sell a lot.
If that is your opinion then why are you wasting time
talking to me. :wink: Not to mention that if there are almost
no such magazines after more than half a century of free
western press, it's got'ta mean something more basic. :wink:

Peace and long life.

hehe, I get the impression you won't read such magazines, no :)
Vote your oppinion. We'll see how the count will be :)

Sure everyone want to read only essential stuff, with pleasure. But sadly we're far from perfect. Thus "follow the money". As you say ;)

Oh, but there ARE already magazines now not so far from it. (Askmen, the internett site). Stuff, FHM, Maxim. But... far from what Cosmopolitian is generally for women.

the simplest answer is simply supply and demand. They wouldn't be profitable to produce. Not enough men would read them. It'd probably be best to just created a non-gender biased magazine with all that stuff, but more likely than not, more women than men'd read it anyways. Its like tv networks. For so long there was pleanty of networks for women, and only now is there one for men. Maybe it's just that guys'd rather read specialized magazines focussed on one topic than a generalized entertainment one. But either way, the demand for such a magazine just doesn't really exist, and so, there is no such supply.

Personally I am glad there are few "men" magazines. Most "women" magazines make me sick with all the vanity, fakeness and repeated articles.

I don't think 1 or 2 magazines of this kind would damage. matter of fact, I think it would sell a lot when first known.
There's 10's of magazines for women like this, not a single one for men. I really don't believe the difference between men and women is this large.

Or that men only want naked *****es, fast cars, sports, or lots of tech. If this is your conception of men, I think you're sadly wrong.

-

I think maybe 25 or 30 per-cent is more in the right direction for the relationship and sex issues.

The thing I mean is that, men also need this club where they can see things from their point of view in a serious but yet pleasurable tone. They really need it, besides wanting it, cause relationship has sort of like become bloddy serious for them, It needs to be fun.

Last edited:
Good One Sir! :)

I just like what you've just said...

I hope more people will start thinking same way. This is why we were born. To get educated about the good things in our lives. But, not to waste time on entertainment and love issues!

Thanks a bunch!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Personally I am glad there are few "men" magazines. Most "women" magazines make me sick with all the vanity, fakeness and repeated articles.

From what you said, i gues you DO read women magazines, Greg. Aren't you? :rofl:
[you cannot come to this conclusion by revelation!]
Well, still agreeing with you from what i heard! :biggrin:

pace said:
5% Starting article/(or) recent news comments.
20% Entertainment (-reviews) (movies, books, games, social events or clubs)
20% Men-women related stuff. (Relationships, sex, etc.) (from more men'ish point of veiw, of course)
15% Clothers.
10% Science (lighter'ish presented probably).
10% Commercials.
10% Interview(s).
10& General, or all kinds of stuff.

You just described Maxim almost perfectly.

ShawnD said:
You just described Maxim almost perfectly.

How could i forget?

Zantra said:
What about men's health?

My favorite magazine, by the way. I don't know if anybody mentioned Maxim or not, but that's one, too.

I'm female, but I think most of the magazines I prefer are probably considered "gender neutral" - I like Wired, Popular Science, Newsweek, and Reader's Digest (for airplane trips). Oh yeah, and I occasionally indulge in "Weekly World News" when I am insanely bored at the laundromat. :smile:

One thing that I've always been curious about is that "men's magazines" and "women's magazines" seem to have one thing in common: both always have a gorgeous woman on the cover. I've always found it peculiar that you never see Brad Pitt or Keanu Reeves on the cover of Cosmo!

pace said:
Vote your oppinion. We'll see how the count will be :)
Your poll is poorly designed.

If you asked me whether I'd read an FM magazine, my answer would be NO.

Instead you're asking whether men need such a magazine. Now, I have to think about whether such a magazine will be, in general, a positive contribution toward the betterment of the male of our species. Not willing to pronounce judgement upon such a complex, multi-variable hypothetical, I answered MAYBE.

Also, your options for women are very one-sided, and won't give many of them the opportunity to provide an honest opinion on the poll.

FHM, GQ, Loaded, Men's Health (and probably many more) are general interest Men's Magazines.

And in my opinion, tabloids are trash. Some of them are good when used as rags for cleaning up stuff.

1. Where can I find "Where's Our General Lifestyle Magazine? - For Men"?

Our magazine can be found at most major retailers and newsstands, as well as through our online subscription service.

2. What topics does the magazine cover?

Our magazine covers a wide range of topics including fashion, fitness, relationships, career, and entertainment, all geared towards men's general lifestyle.

3. How often is the magazine published?

The magazine is published monthly, with new issues released on the first week of every month.

4. Is there a digital version available?

Yes, we offer a digital version of our magazine which can be accessed through our website or through our mobile app.

5. Can I submit an article or suggest a topic for the magazine?

Yes, we welcome submissions and suggestions from our readers. Please visit our website for more information on submission guidelines.

Back