Mental Calculators: Unusual Abilities in Complex Mental Calculations

• Thread starter markov4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculators
In summary: They saw three shapes - a square, triangle, and circle - with two three-digit numbers in the square and triangle. They were able to mentally calculate the answer to the multiplication of these two numbers, and felt a sense of knowing and clarity. However, the vision quickly faded and they were back to reality. The speaker has been trying to find an explanation for this experience, and wonders if it was simply a product of their imagination or if they have a potential for complex mental calculations like the autistic savant they had heard about.
markov4
Hi there, i told this to a friend but he only looked at me weirdly so the internet seems proper to post such a strange story.

My post relates to people who have incredible abilities at mental calculations, autistic savants or anything of the kind.

Last year around August i was sitting in a cafe with two of my friends and we were laughing about something. At that moment i looked up towards the ceiling and suddenly i had saw 'something' that i don't how to explain. What i saw was a multitude of shapes in a hazy orange type of tinge. Three shapes stood out amongst them all, a square, triangle and then a circle. There were two three digit numbers in the square and triangle, and at that instant i 'pictured' the answer if the two were to be multiplied, in the circle and i just knew it was the answer. At the same time i was over come by this feeling of 'knowing', of 'clarity', I'm not sure how to describe it, but you know when you're on a roll in solving difficult maths problems and you reach this type of 'high' well it was like that but much better. Also at that moment, i thought back to some problems i had at the time in solving maths related problems and it all made perfect sense to me, everything was just 'clear' when i thought about it. The shapes each had different colours, but the orange tinge 'covered' them all.

Then in a brief moment, i suddenly felt as if the 'vision' i had was suddenly drifting away and i somehow tried to 'hold' onto it but it just 'faded' away and i was back again at staring at my friends. It happened so fast they didn't notice, what felt to me, that i had zoned out for a short while.

Ok i know that sounds very strange, i don't know how to describe it, i don't know whether i was going crazy at the time (i was only 20 then), I'm a rational person but i don't know what this was. I don't have autism nor any other related syndrome. By medical standards i guess I'm healthy, and I'm just an average student in maths (studying engineering). I'd say i have a rather good memory, but that's about it. Thing is, this has been bothering me since then, and like i said i tried telling one of my friends a while ago, one of them who was sitting there, but he didn't seem to take me seriously and didn't say much.

I know such people exist who have unusual abilities at performing complex mental calculations, and i know of one guy in the UK who's an autistic savant, who can do complex calculations, and he also has an amazing memory too (i saw a documentary on him, he learned Icelandic in a week!), i emailed him a few months ago but he never replied. So while i was very hesistant in posting on some online forum i figured i don't have anything to lose.

So is anyone familiar with this type of stuff? Anywhere that i can be directed to, to 'find' out more, some explanation of what happened to me? I've tried to analyse all possible reasons that lead to what happened, and i simply don't know what...the only conclusion i can come up with is that my mind/brain imagined it all or something. It's only happened once btw, never as a child, only then when i was 20, I've tried 'thinking' it back but nothing's ever happened. It's either that my brain/mind brought this about somehow, a delusion of sorts, or i have some sort of feint potential in complex mental calculation that has never fully developed. I know that guy in the UK sees numbers as some form of colours, so I'm not too far off.

Physics news on Phys.org
markov4 said:
Hi there, i told this to a friend but he only looked at me weirdly so the internet seems proper to post such a strange story.

My post relates to people who have incredible abilities at mental calculations, autistic savants or anything of the kind.

Last year around August i was sitting in a cafe with two of my friends and we were laughing about something. At that moment i looked up towards the ceiling and suddenly i had saw 'something' that i don't how to explain. What i saw was a multitude of shapes in a hazy orange type of tinge. Three shapes stood out amongst them all, a square, triangle and then a circle. There were two three digit numbers in the square and triangle, and at that instant i 'pictured' the answer if the two were to be multiplied, in the circle and i just knew it was the answer. At the same time i was over come by this feeling of 'knowing', of 'clarity', I'm not sure how to describe it, but you know when you're on a roll in solving difficult maths problems and you reach this type of 'high' well it was like that but much better. Also at that moment, i thought back to some problems i had at the time in solving maths related problems and it all made perfect sense to me, everything was just 'clear' when i thought about it. The shapes each had different colours, but the orange tinge 'covered' them all.

Then in a brief moment, i suddenly felt as if the 'vision' i had was suddenly drifting away and i somehow tried to 'hold' onto it but it just 'faded' away and i was back again at staring at my friends. It happened so fast they didn't notice, what felt to me, that i had zoned out for a short while.

Ok i know that sounds very strange, i don't know how to describe it, i don't know whether i was going crazy at the time (i was only 20 then), I'm a rational person but i don't know what this was. I don't have autism nor any other related syndrome. By medical standards i guess I'm healthy, and I'm just an average student in maths (studying engineering). I'd say i have a rather good memory, but that's about it. Thing is, this has been bothering me since then, and like i said i tried telling one of my friends a while ago, one of them who was sitting there, but he didn't seem to take me seriously and didn't say much.

I know such people exist who have unusual abilities at performing complex mental calculations, and i know of one guy in the UK who's an autistic savant, who can do complex calculations, and he also has an amazing memory too (i saw a documentary on him, he learned Icelandic in a week!), i emailed him a few months ago but he never replied. So while i was very hesistant in posting on some online forum i figured i don't have anything to lose.

So is anyone familiar with this type of stuff? Anywhere that i can be directed to, to 'find' out more, some explanation of what happened to me? I've tried to analyse all possible reasons that lead to what happened, and i simply don't know what...the only conclusion i can come up with is that my mind/brain imagined it all or something. It's only happened once btw, never as a child, only then when i was 20, I've tried 'thinking' it back but nothing's ever happened. It's either that my brain/mind brought this about somehow, a delusion of sorts, or i have some sort of feint potential in complex mental calculation that has never fully developed. I know that guy in the UK sees numbers as some form of colours, so I'm not too far off.

Thats cool, too bad it's never happened again. In order for me to get to the point now where I can multiple most in my head took A LOT of practice. (My calculus teacher made the class do I think it was 5 minutes of mental multiplications there was a chart and you had to fill it out and see how many you got correct after. At first I made so many mistakes but by the end of the year I could finish the entire chart with close to 0 mistakes everytime.)

markov4 said:
i was sitting in a cafe with two of my friends and we were laughing about something. At that moment i looked up towards the ceiling and suddenly i had saw 'something' that i don't how to explain. What i saw was a multitude of shapes in a hazy orange type of tinge.

Must have been in Amsterdam.

Sorry! said:
Thats cool, too bad it's never happened again. In order for me to get to the point now where I can multiple most in my head took A LOT of practice. (My calculus teacher made the class do I think it was 5 minutes of mental multiplications there was a chart and you had to fill it out and see how many you got correct after. At first I made so many mistakes but by the end of the year I could finish the entire chart with close to 0 mistakes everytime.)
I guess like with anything, practicing something, you'll eventually master it. I'll give such methods a go on my summer break.

Borek said:
Must have been in Amsterdam.
lol no :p but for the record, I've never had any type of drugs.

I think you should go see a doctor, no joke.

It sounds like you have Charles Bonnett syndrome

Sorry! said:

Do you still have this chart? Or can you describe in more detail what was on the chart? (e.g. random two-digit pairs to multiply, three-digit pairs, etc.) I'd be interested in seeing it: mental exercise and practice are good things!

Monocerotis said:
I think you should go see a doctor, no joke.

It sounds like you have Charles Bonnett syndrome
I read up on that, and it sounds sort of similar actually, thanks.

1. What are mental calculators?

Mental calculators are individuals who possess extraordinary abilities in complex mental calculations. They are able to perform mathematical calculations at a rapid speed and with great accuracy, often without the use of any external aids such as pen and paper or a calculator.

2. How do mental calculators develop their abilities?

There is no definitive answer to how mental calculators develop their abilities. Some believe that it is a natural talent, while others suggest that it can be acquired through intense practice and training. However, research has shown that individuals with exceptional mathematical abilities often have a strong working memory and a high level of numerical intelligence.

3. Can anyone become a mental calculator?

While it is not impossible for anyone to become a mental calculator, it is believed that only a small percentage of the population have the potential to develop these abilities. It requires a combination of natural talent, intense practice, and a high level of dedication and focus.

4. What are the benefits of being a mental calculator?

Besides the obvious advantage of being able to perform complex calculations quickly and accurately, being a mental calculator can also improve one's memory, concentration, and problem-solving skills. It can also lead to opportunities in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and finance.

5. Are there any downsides to being a mental calculator?

While being a mental calculator can be seen as an impressive skill, it can also come with its own set of challenges. Some individuals with these abilities may struggle with social interactions or have difficulties in other areas of learning. Additionally, the pressure to perform at a high level constantly can lead to burnout and mental fatigue.