Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mental Challenge (SFW)

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1

*Kia*

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2
    When does this thing end?

4. Jul 18, 2005 #3
  5. Jul 18, 2005 #4
    Yep, just beat level 5, but I gotta stop there, for now :smile:

Cool game, though.

6. Jul 18, 2005 #5

*Kia*

Gold Member

I wimped out on level 3 but I am really tired so maybe tomorrow eh?

7. Jul 18, 2005 #6

jma2001

Gold Member

Interesting, would anyone like to take a shot at explaining the mathematical concepts behind this game? It reminds me of the Bridges of Konigsberg problem. From my limited experience with the game, it seems that the secret is to place the nodes having the most edges in the center, while the nodes having only two or three edges can be arranged around the perimeter.

8. Jul 18, 2005 #7
    jma, that is what I was doing.

9. Jul 18, 2005 #8

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Bridges of Konigsberg is a graph theory problem, and this game certainly has to do with graphs (a graph is just a thing with "nodes" as you call them, and edges connecting nodes in some manner). If I recall correctly, a planar graph is any graph that can be drawn in the plane such that no two edges cross each other. If you have 4 nodes forming a square, and edges connecting every pair of points, then you'll get a square with an X in the middle. But you can take one of the diagonals and have that edge go from one corner outside and around the square to the opposite corner, so it's a planar graph.

So in this game, you show that each of the graphs are planar. I think in the Bridges problem, you are trying to find a special kind of circuit (Euler Circuit?). Whether a graph is planar and whether it contains a Euler Circuit may or may not be directly related (i.e. I don't know if there's a theorem that says whether a planar graph has a circuit, or something like that) but both are indirectly related as they both have to do with graph theory. Most of the above is based on sketchy knowledge from over a year ago, so I would recommend looking up some of these things:

Graph and Graph theory
    Euler Circuit
    Planar Graph
    Bridges of Konigsberg

on a site like Mathworld.com.

10. Jul 18, 2005 #9

jma2001

Gold Member

Thanks AKG, that is just the sort of info I was looking for.

In case anyone is curious, here's what level 8 looks like. I'm out. :smile:

[​IMG]

11. Jul 18, 2005 #10

*Kia*

Gold Member

nice work.
    I believe a eular circuit is where each "node"/vertices is crossed only once.
    I could well be wrong but unless that "mass" of lines has only 2 vertices with an odd number of arcs then there are not eular on the other hand if they do only have the two then they could very well be eular.

[​IMG]

NO I did not get that far, some other clever person.

12. Jul 18, 2005 #11

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I stopped after completing level 5. To get to that stage took me about 10 minutes.

If I knew it ended at some stage, I might be motivated to continue...

Nice game, though.

13. Jul 18, 2005 #12
    Pff, I was about to post a screenshot of level 8 completed, not anymore :cry: Nice work Kia!!!

14. Jul 18, 2005 #13
    i finished level 5 in 5min...now i'm sick to my stomach can you save the game?!? i missed all the gui buttons cuz i quit X. My only tactic is to take all the degrees of 2 and move them as close the edge that they adjacent to...wsih you could move groups...

15. Jul 18, 2005 #14
    ok i decided to play again level 6 took me not to long maybe 5-7 min but level 7 i'm well past 15 minARG .,..ok is that timer accurate cuz it says it only took me12min. 9 min on level 9

NOOOOO...i finished level 10 and it tells me that a flashscript is running really slow and to abot...then it stalled the game!!!!!.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  16. Jul 18, 2005 #15

jma2001

Gold Member

That happened to me, too. Click 'No' (as in, no, don't abort the script) and wait. You might have to click 'No' a few times, but it will finish eventually.

17. Jul 18, 2005 #16

jma2001

Gold Member

It's true, I have no life ... :redface:

[​IMG]

18. Jul 18, 2005 #17
    Hell no, that is crazy...

are you using trial and error to figure out what works or did you work out an easier way?

19. Jul 18, 2005 #18

jma2001

Gold Member

When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time drawing mazes on big sheets of paper, so I guess I developed an ingrained sense of how pathways fit together.

There is a method, it's hard to explain exactly, but in general:

When you click on each node, you will notice that the other nodes it is connected to are highlighted in red. I begin by going around the circle, clicking on each node one by one, and moving it to a point that is roughly equidistant between the other highlighted nodes. That way, all the nodes that are connected to each other are grouped together in the same general area.

Then, I choose one small area on the perimeter and untangle it. Nodes with two or three edges always go to the outside, four-edge nodes go to the center. Move the untangled piece into a corner, as far away from the other nodes as possible.

From there, as cliched as it sounds, it is simply a matter of taking one node at a time, and moving it from the tangled area to the untangled area. There is only one place that each new node can go, so that it is not crossing any of the edges in the untangled grouping.

Every now and then, if you get stuck, go back to the trick of dragging each tangled node to a position that is roughly equidistant between the other connected nodes. That will get you back on the right track.

In the screenshot that I posted, the original untangled area was in the upper right corner. You can see that, as I worked from the upper right outward, the lines connecting the nodes got longer and longer, as I dragged them into place from the lower left to the untangled area.

20. Jul 19, 2005 #19

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm currently on six, and scared, you should see it! :surprised

21. Jul 19, 2005 #20

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm worried that the notes say the algorithm doesn't always generate a solvable puzzle.

Now THAT would be very frustrating!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?