Mentat Sighted in Philosophy: Where's Gale17?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Philosophy
In summary, Mentat has been sighted in Philosophy, but there is no sight of Gale17. Daniel and others discuss the sighting and make jokes about QM principles and Ivan's sense of irony.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mentat has been sighted in Philosophy. :smile: No sight of Gale17, though ! :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Phhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww,u got me scared.Though u meant "Mental Sighting" and mispelt it... :tongue2: I was waiting for some scary story... :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.For how long has he been "sighted"??Does it have to do with Heisenberg uncertaint,u know,the more energy one guy has,the less time he's sighted indoors ? :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.P.S.Does "PF sighting" obey QM principles?? :confused: :tongue2:

You've got it all wrong. The Heisenberg principle states 'Life is uncertain. Eat dessert FIRST.'

Nothing in GD obeys QM principles - or much of anything else, for that matter. :biggrin:

Tsu said:
You've got it all wrong. The Heisenberg principle states 'Life is uncertain. Eat dessert FIRST.'

And murphy says : Smile. Tomorrow will be worse.

dextercioby said:
Phhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww,u got me scared.Though u meant "Mental Sighting" and mispelt it... :tongue2: I was waiting for some scary story... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Here's something much scarier than a mental sighting. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=59914

Gokul43201 said:
Oooh ! A warp in the space-time continuum ! :eek:

Dont get too excited, its just Ivan's sense of irony.

franznietzsche said:
Dont get too excited, its just Ivan's sense of irony.
...which lives right next door to his sense of direction... :rolleyes:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gokul, you are not the only one...I...too...have...seen him! :eek:

Mentat said:
Gokul, you are not the only one...I...too...have...seen him! :eek:

Mentat! Hi! Welcome back! Long time no see! Well, you get the point. Glad to see your typeface around here again!

1. What is a "Mentat" in philosophy?

A Mentat is a fictional concept from Frank Herbert's novel Dune, which refers to a highly trained individual who possesses exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities through the use of mental techniques and logic.

2. Who is Gale17?

Gale17 is another fictional character from the Dune series, who is a Mentat and serves as a mentor and advisor to the main character, Paul Atreides.

3. Is there any real-life connection between Mentat and philosophy?

No, Mentat is purely a fictional concept and has no real-life connection to philosophy. However, some philosophers and thinkers have drawn inspiration from the concept of Mentats in their work.

4. Why is Mentat often associated with philosophy?

Mentats possess highly advanced thinking and reasoning abilities, which are often associated with the field of philosophy. Additionally, the concept of Mentats also involves the use of mental techniques and logic, which are important elements in philosophical inquiry.

5. How is the concept of Mentat relevant in modern times?

While the concept of Mentat is purely fictional, it serves as a reminder of the importance of critical thinking and logical reasoning in problem-solving and decision-making. In today's world, where information is readily available and constantly changing, these skills are increasingly valuable in navigating complex situations.