Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mentor/advisor/?

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1

T@P

how do you become one? and also just wondering what age are most mentor/advisor peoples? theyre so smart it would make me feel dumb if they were grad students :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You become one by sticking around, making lots of good posts, and demonstrating that you're an asset to the forum. Then, when we find that we need to augment the staff, we nominate new mentors from our membership. If they accept, they're mentors.

We range in age from the early twenties to (I believe) the seventies. We live on a few continents. Some of us are professional educators, some of us are hobbyists, and some of us are indeed graduate students. :smile:

- Warren

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    so its more a trial-and-error thing until you find smart people that know what theyre talking about.

gotcha :)

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I just showed up the day they opened the plant!

-Homer

6. Jan 11, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact is that I bribed chroot for giving me that award. Although he don't want to say it to you, just now he is at one beach of the Bahamas, drinking an exotic liquor, and picking up with some hottie girls. And all that by means of my money. :rofl:

7. Jan 11, 2005 #6

I tried the exact same thing , yet i don't see no physics guru award under my name ??? :cry: What went wrong dammit :devil: , probable not enough money was used in my socalled offer that he cannot refuse...WELL? HE DID...
    :wink:

marlon

8. Jan 11, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dream on,Marlon... :wink: This year is mine...All mine... :tongue2:

Daniel.

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem was you gave Chroot false dollars. And now you are known at PF as a gangster. It is impossible to swindle to Chroot. He knows how to deal.

10. Jan 11, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I remember trying to win through fraud...
    :tongue2: Multiple users sharing th same IP voting for Marlon... :tongue2: :grumpy:

Daniel.

11. Jan 11, 2005 #10

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was not referring to that. It was only a joke. I don't think Marlon was responsible of that. And I think Marlon deserved that award anyway more than other who in fact have been awarded with that award.

12. Jan 11, 2005 #11
    mmm, isn't this a lie dexter...according to me i was too preoccupied with correcting your false posts... :wink: do I need to add some references, mr. "i know what vaccuum fluctuations are ???" :tongue:

marlon

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  13. Jan 11, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dear Marlon,u've been busted... :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: Caught red-handed...:tongue2: You may wanna ask Mr.Bernhardt again... :wink:

Daniel... :tongue2:

PS.Dream on,dream on... :tongue:

14. Jan 11, 2005 #13
    hahaha, not at all. This situation was discussed publically so it was not hidden. I myself, took it publically. So as usual, you are a bit late dexter...make accusations all you want, really, you off all people are entitled to it... :wink:

marlon

ps : what's up with the galilei formula : :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this one is just the best man...thanks for that o:)

or how about general relativity without any geometrical description , provided by mr DIRAC :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  15. Jan 11, 2005 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My my, how off-topic we've become...

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?