Mercury Displacement in a Sealed Tube: Isothermal vs. Adiabatic Processes

It goes through a horizontal section, with 10 cm in the middle containing mercury, and then it goes to two vertical arms, each containing air at atmospheric pressure.In summary, a 1m long thin tube, sealed at both ends, initially contains mercury at the middle 10cm section and air at standard atmospheric pressure at the two equal ends. When turned vertically, the mercury will be displaced by 0.072m assuming an isothermal process. The more reasonable assumption is that of an adiabatic process. The displacement can be calculated using the equation F=p*A and other intermediate equations. The tube is thin enough for the mercury to seal it, separating the air on both sides.
zygisyyy

Homework Statement

A thin tube, sealed at both ends, is 1 m long. It lies horizontally, the middle 10 cm containing mercury at the two equal ends containing air at standard atmospheric pressure. If the tube is now turned to a vertical position, by what amount will the mercury be displaced? Assume that the process is (a) isothermal and (b) adiabatic. Which assumption is more reasonable?

Homework Equations

F=p*A

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured maybe I could calculate the displacement by finding the difference between the two pressures ( or vector sum ) and by using F=p*A and other intermediate equations like that of volume find the displacement.
I got 0.072m of displacement in isothermal case. I think the answer can actually be near the logical one, but i still want to make sure whether I'm using the correct approach.
and maybe there is simpler way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
zygisyyy said:
It lies horizontally, the middle 10 cm containing mercury at the two equal ends containing air at standard atmospheric pressure.

Can you clarify this please?

Tube is thin enough so that mercury closes it, separating air on both sides.

What is "Mercury in a sealed tube"?

"Mercury in a sealed tube" refers to a scientific experiment where a small amount of mercury is placed in a glass tube and sealed off from the outside environment. This allows for the observation of the properties and behaviors of mercury without the interference of external factors.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the properties and behaviors of mercury in a controlled environment. This can help scientists understand how mercury behaves under different conditions and how it interacts with other elements.

What precautions should be taken when handling "Mercury in a sealed tube"?

When handling "Mercury in a sealed tube", it is important to wear gloves and handle the tube with care. Mercury is a toxic substance and should not come into direct contact with skin. The tube should also be handled gently to avoid any breakage.

What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment can teach us about the physical properties of mercury, such as its density, boiling point, and surface tension. It can also help us understand how mercury reacts to changes in temperature and pressure.

Can this experiment be done with other substances?

Yes, this experiment can be done with other substances. It is a common practice in science to isolate and study the properties of different elements in a controlled environment. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and handle any toxic substances with care.