1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mercury Monometer, Pressure, Temperature

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mercury manometer is attached to a gas cell (this is the closed end). The mercury height is 120mm when the cell is placed in an ice-water mixture. The mercury height drops to 30mm when the device is carried into an industrial freezer. What is the temperature of the freezer?

2. Relevant equations

pressure = (density, d)(height of mercury, h)(gravity, g)
    P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

3. The attempt at a solution

Right off the bat, I know the answer is -27.9 degrees Celsius. Since the tube containing the mercury is much more narrow than the actual gas cell, I neglected any change in volume and I'm left with P1/T1=P2/T2, which manipulates to P1/P2=T1/T2. I subbed the pressure = dhg into P1/P2. Density and gravity will cancel out and I'm left with T1/T2=h1/h2. Following this, I get 120mm/30mm = 4 and then I just solve for T1. I have always got -68.3 degrees Celsius. Where am I going wrong?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted