Mercury precession with naive GR

In summary, the problem is to calculate the precession of Mercury using a naive approach. The Lagrangian -mc^2 sqrt(c^2 - \dot r^2 - r^2 \dot \theta ^2) - (Gmm)/r is used to find r(t) and \theta(t), but the real issue is finding a way to decouple the time derivatives of θ and r. The Lagrangian is independent of θ, so the conjugate momentum α is conserved and can be used to eliminate \dot\theta from the equations. However, this approach may not work in the relativistic case.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
The problem is to calculate the precession of Mercury using a naive approach:

[tex]{{d(\gamma m \vec v)} \over {dt}} = {-GmM \over {r^2}}[/tex]

So apparently a Lagrangian of the form

[tex] - mc^2 \sqrt {c^2 - \dot r^2 - r^2 \dot \theta ^2 } - {{Gmm} \over r}[/tex]

gives us a Lagrangian that obeys the previous line when using a force that can be made as the -gradient of a potential. But nevermind, the real problem I am facing is finding r(t) and [tex]\theta(t)[/tex].

Since energy is conserved, we find the following relations

[tex]{{\partial L} \over {\partial \dot \theta}} = {{mc^2r^2\dot \theta} \over {\sqrt{c^2 - \dot r^2 - r^2 \dot \theta^2}}} = \alpha[/tex]
[tex]{{\partial L} \over {\partial \dot r}} = {{mc^2 \dot r} \over {\sqrt{c^2 - \dot r^2 - r^2 \dot \theta^2}}} = {{\alpha \dot r} \over {r^2 \dot \theta}}[/tex]

At this point, using the fact that [tex]\sum {\dot q_i {{\partial L} \over {\partial \dot q_i }}} - L = \beta[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex] is a constant in this case (the energy), we arrive at this simplified equation

[tex]\alpha \dot \theta + {{\alpha \dot r^2} \over {r^2 \dot \theta}} + {{m^2 c^4 r^2 \dot \theta} \over {\alpha}} + {GmM \over r} = \beta[/tex]

From here I have no idea where to go. I don't see any obvious way to decouple the time derivatives of the thetas and r's. Any guesses on where to go from here?

*EDIT* And yes, I do realize I messed up the Lagrangian slight at the start. It should read

[tex] L = -mc {\sqrt {c^2 - \dot r^2 - r^2 \dot \theta ^2}}[/tex]

but it shouldn't effect the actual problem I am having here (Set c = 1 and i win :D)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be to use the fact that the Lagrangian is independent of θ. That means the conjugate momentum (α) is conserved, so you can solve for [itex]\dot\theta[/itex] in terms of α and use that to eliminate [itex]\dot\theta[/itex] from your equations. At least, that's the way it's normally done in the nonrelativistic case (so, no guarantees it'll work here).

1. What is Mercury precession and why is it important?

Mercury precession refers to the gradual change in the orientation of Mercury's orbit around the Sun. It is important because it was one of the first phenomena that challenged Newton's theory of gravity and led to the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does general relativity explain Mercury's precession?

Einstein's theory of general relativity explains Mercury's precession as a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the Sun's mass. This curvature affects the path of Mercury's orbit, causing it to slowly rotate over time.

3. Can the precession of Mercury's orbit be observed?

Yes, the precession of Mercury's orbit can be observed through precise measurements of its position and velocity over time. These observations have been confirmed by multiple experiments and have helped validate the predictions of general relativity.

4. Are there other planets or celestial bodies that exhibit precession?

Yes, many other planets and celestial bodies exhibit precession, including Earth, Venus, Mars, and Saturn. However, the precession rates for these bodies are much smaller than that of Mercury, making it a unique and interesting case to study.

5. How does the precession of Mercury's orbit impact our understanding of gravity?

The precession of Mercury's orbit played a crucial role in the development of general relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It showed that Newton's theory was not able to fully explain the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational fields, and led to the development of a more accurate and comprehensive theory of gravity.