Mercury Seal Gap Size: Is it Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical properties of mercury and the possibility of it escaping through small openings. It is mentioned that mercury's high density and low surface adhesion make it difficult for it to seep through small openings. The use of ferrofluid or the Washburn equation is suggested as a way to determine the largest gap size for a given weight and shape of a mercury container.
artis
I am wondering about the physical properties of mercury. I know that different materials have different density and ability to penetrate small openings. I wonder if I have a small container of mercury, say about 100 grams or less, and there is a small flat opening at the bottom of such container which can be adjusted. Given the gap is very small (say 0.5mm) and the mercury weight not large would the mercury be able to escape through the gap?
This is more of a theoretical idea than a practical one although if such gap could be made and sealed with some lubricant it could come in handy as a rotary electrical contact for some of my experiments later on which is partly why I'm asking.

I have a feeling that unlike water or diesel or other liquids that can easily seep through very small opening mercury's high density and very low surface adhesion and wetting would prevent it from seeping through a small opening in liquid form.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It wouldn't drop down if you don't shake the container but it will still evaporate at the surface, making that a health risk.

Well in theory the atmospheric end of the small opening could be sealed off by ferrofluid or a similar material.
I wonder is there any way of determining what is the largest gap size for any given weight and shape of container of mercury?

Sure. Simulate it. Or try to find an analytic expression for the total energy and look if it has a minimum.

I meant calculating the gap size, but I assume that would be complicated.

The Washburn equation is used in mercury porosimetry:
ΔPr = -2γcosθ
where ΔP is the pressure difference (usually just the pressure, as the sample is evacuated); r is the pore radius, γ is the surface tension of mercury and θ is the contact angle of the mercury with the solid. Using typical values of 140° for θ and 0.480 N/m for γ, we obtain
r = 0.736/ΔP
where r is in µm and ΔP in MPa
If r = 250 µm, ΔP = 2.9 kPa, corresponding to a mercury column of ca. 22 mm. A mercury layer deeper than this would go through the pores under its own weight.

Likes Nik_2213 and mfb

1. What is the purpose of a mercury seal gap?

The purpose of a mercury seal gap is to create a barrier between two substances, preventing them from mixing or leaking. In scientific experiments, it is often used to separate gases or liquids.

2. How is the size of a mercury seal gap determined?

The size of a mercury seal gap is determined by the surface tension of the mercury and the materials it is being used to seal. It can also be adjusted by changing the angle at which the materials are held.

3. Is it possible to control the size of a mercury seal gap?

Yes, it is possible to control the size of a mercury seal gap by adjusting the materials and the angle at which they are held. However, it is important to note that the size of the gap can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What is the smallest size that a mercury seal gap can be?

The smallest size that a mercury seal gap can be depends on the materials being used and the surface tension of the mercury. In general, it can range from a few micrometers to a few millimeters.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with using a mercury seal gap?

Yes, there are potential hazards associated with using a mercury seal gap. Mercury is a toxic substance and should be handled with caution. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and dispose of mercury properly after use.