How to Treat Spilled Mercury: Advice & Tips

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary, if you spill mercury, use a vacuum cleaner or sponge to suck it off, dry ice to freeze it, and then move it to a new container.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, I need advice about how to treat spilled mercury. A friend of mine is going to do an experiment about barometers, and she needs some mercury. I am worried about any accident. As you know, mercury vapors are very toxic for nervous system. Any advice is welcomed.
I will immediately do a Google search as soon as I post this thread. Thank you.

P.S. The Google searching gave me this info: "Use vacuum cleaner or sponge to suck off any spilled mercury. If it is spilled in a trace amount, just add some elemental sulfur onto it, and this will convert mercuric sulfide, a less harmful compound". Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Don't use a vacuum. The air that the vacuum cleaner sucks up gets pushed out the back of the vacuum and I don't think that there is anything to prevent Hg vapor from coming out of the other end of the vacuum.

The sulfur thing will work, but I think a better option is to use dry ice. If you take a piece of dry ice in some tongs and touch it to the mercury drop the mercury will freeze to the dry ice chunk. Then you can move the whole chunk to some other container that is in a safe area. Don't seal the container, as the dry ice will eventually sublime away. Once the dry ice is gone though you have the mercury nicely in a container without ever having to touch it. From there you can seal the container and dispose of it properly.

I've broken a thermometer once and spilled mercury on the floor. I just coalesced the tiny drops into a single blob, scooped it up with a piece of paper and put it in a bottle. I then called the University chemical disposal people, who took it away from me. :smile:

I was wearing gloves while cleaning up the mess, but considering the small amount of Hg, I didn't bother about the vapor. I think I'm still quite sane. :wink:

Thank you for your interest, I'll warn my friend about being careful and about some precautions.

Dare I tell about the time I broke a ~20lb flask of Hg?

My God! What did you do? You are fine and still sane as you've posted nearly 1900 threads :smile:

Integral said:
Dare I tell about the time I broke a ~20lb flask of Hg?

And I thought I was bad for playing with the mercury from a broken thermometer when I was a kid. The little liquid silver balls were fun to roll around. Mom seemed rather angry when she found me playing with mercury though. :biggrin:

When working with anything, the best precaution to avoid messy clean-ups is to create an easy to clean work-area. Keep everything containing the mercury within a container you can throw away when done. For example, an inexpensive plastic dishpan. Line the bottom with some paper or paper towels...something easy to pick up...and if you spill, then you just lift up the paper and pour the mercury back into a proper container. By doing it over a dishpan, you avoid the little mercury balls rolling off the surface you're working on and onto the floor where they may get lost and make it harder to decontaminate.

1. How do I safely clean up a mercury spill?

The most important thing to remember when cleaning up a mercury spill is to never touch the mercury with your bare hands. First, open windows and doors to ventilate the area. Then, use a piece of paper or cardboard to gently push the mercury into a container with a lid. Next, use sticky tape to pick up any remaining small drops. Finally, dispose of the mercury properly according to your local regulations.

2. What should I do if I accidentally touch mercury?

If you accidentally touch mercury, do not panic. Wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and water. Do not use any harsh chemicals or solvents. If you experience any symptoms such as skin irritation or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.

3. Can I vacuum up a mercury spill?

No, you should never use a vacuum to clean up a mercury spill. This can cause the mercury to vaporize and spread throughout the air, making it even more dangerous. It can also contaminate your vacuum and make it difficult to clean in the future.

4. How can I prevent mercury spills from happening?

The best way to prevent mercury spills is to handle mercury carefully and only when necessary. If you are working with mercury, make sure to have a designated area for handling it and always use appropriate protective gear. Additionally, make sure to properly store and label any containers of mercury to avoid accidental spills.

5. What are the potential health risks of mercury exposure?

Mercury exposure can have serious health consequences, especially for pregnant women, children, and those with existing health conditions. Inhaling mercury vapor can cause respiratory problems, while ingesting mercury can lead to neurological and developmental issues. It is important to take proper precautions and seek medical attention if you have been exposed to mercury.