1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mercury vapor lamp

  1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    I've been reading up on mercury vapor lamps, which are often used as a light source in fluorescence microscopes. I still don't understand why it decreases the lamp's lifetime if you turn it on and switch it off without waiting 20 - 30 minutes. Is there a reason for this?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2

    Andy Resnick

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    This is called a 'hot restrike', and much higher voltages are required than the usual 'cold start'. For our arc lamps, we simply can't perform a hot restrike- the starter doesn't put out enough voltage. I'm not sure if a hot restrike decreases the lamp lifetime over and above normal operating cycles.
     
  4. Aug 31, 2015 #3

    Drakkith

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Do you need to wait 20-30 minutes for the lamp to heat up after you turn it on, or for it to cool down after you turn it off?
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Mercury vapor lamp
  1. Sodium vapor lamp (Replies: 6)

  2. Fluorescent lamps (Replies: 3)

  3. Xenon Lamps (Replies: 1)

Loading...