Mercury Vapor Lights: Safe Indoor Mounting

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's search for lighting options for their small, unheated building. They consider mercury vapor lights but are told they need to be mounted 25 feet high due to UV radiation. The speaker questions this and researches other options, such as sodium and metal halide lights. They also ask about the safety of using these types of lights indoors. Another employee suggests the height requirement is for optimal light distribution. The conversation concludes with suggestions for low temperature fluorescent lights and incandescent or halogen flood lamps.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today I was looking around in the local hardware store in the electrical section for some lighting. I have a small building (20 x 30) that I want to light. In the cold months of the year it is not likely it will be heated very warm and florescent lighting is out of the question because of this. Ahead of time I had decided to look into some mercury vapor lights similar to what is used as the typical 'security light'. Alot of these nowadays are sodium or metal halide. The dork that was working there said that you have to mount mercury vapor lights 25 feet high to allow the air to filter out the UV radiation coming off of the light. He mentioned metal halide and sodium would be acceptable. I don't believe I even told him where I wanted to mount the lights. I ignored him and went to look at the lights anyway. I find pictures on the box of many of these lights mounted on the outside of buildings at best 10 feet off of the ground on patios and such. I left them there because this is not something I need right away and I thought I'd do a bit more research. Mercury vapor, sodium, and metal halide are ALL arc discharge lamps and will ALL emit UV radiation when malfunctioning due to a broken outer bulb or some such failure. I asked another employee about it and they also mentioned that they needed to be mounted a certain height off of the ground. What I suspect the reason is for mounting these at a certain height or higher is to reduce the chance of breakage from step ladders and etc. So what's the story on ANY of these arc discharge lamps? I find it hard to believe that mercury is any worse than any of the others. Is there a good reason an outdoor light of suitable intensity cannot be mounted indoors with ample clearance around the light for cooling? In my case the lights will be greater than 10 feet off of the floor and there will likely be 2 or more feet of clearance to the roof which is sloping at about a 4/12 pitch.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on lighting but I think the reason for mounting these fixtures at some height would be to give the best light distribution. They are designed to be mounted on poles and hence shine the light down to cover a certain area at a certain height.

One problem with arc discharge is that they take a long time to start, particuarly sodium.
Also, even intact, I think they still produce a significant amount of UV.

You could check into low temp florescents.
You would probably need to go to an electrical supply.

Perhaps a few incadescent or halogen flood lamps are the way to go.

1. What are mercury vapor lights?

Mercury vapor lights are a type of high-intensity discharge (HID) light that produces light by passing an electrical current through vaporized mercury in a gas-filled bulb. They are commonly used for outdoor lighting, such as streetlights and parking lot lights.

2. Are mercury vapor lights safe for indoor mounting?

Yes, mercury vapor lights can be safely mounted indoors as long as they are installed correctly and used according to manufacturer instructions. However, they may not be suitable for all indoor settings, such as small enclosed spaces or areas with high humidity.

3. What are the potential health hazards of mercury vapor lights?

Mercury vapor lights contain small amounts of mercury, which can be harmful if inhaled or ingested. They also emit ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which can cause skin and eye irritation. Proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and avoiding direct exposure, should be taken when handling and installing these lights.

4. How do I properly dispose of mercury vapor lights?

Mercury vapor lights should not be thrown in the regular trash, as they contain mercury and other potentially hazardous materials. Instead, they should be taken to a designated hazardous waste facility for proper disposal. Some retailers and manufacturers may also offer recycling programs for these lights.

5. Can mercury vapor lights be used for indoor plant growth?

While mercury vapor lights emit a broad spectrum of light, they are not the best choice for indoor plant growth. They produce more light in the blue and green wavelengths, which are not as useful for plant photosynthesis as red and blue light. LED or fluorescent lights are more suitable for indoor plant growth.