Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Arildno is going to spend Christmas day eating pork, drinking aquavit, and visiting family.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Merry Yuletide and sunreturn celebration to all of you at PF! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy Holidays everyone!

Arildno, what are you doing for the holidays?

Better still, tell us what yule be doing for the holidays.

<okay, I hear the groans, you can stop now>

I'm going to eat pork, drink aquavit and copious quantities of beer, visit family, eat some more, celebrate the 40th birthday of a friend, drink some more and then belch my way through the rest of the holidays. :smile:

Gokul43201 said:
Better still, tell us what yule be doing for the holidays.

<okay, I hear the groans, you can stop now>
Snigger. I sniggered

arildno said:
... drink aquavit...
Yumm...last time I drank aquavit was almost exactly three years ago (Christmas eve).

What is aquavit?

We had to cancel our plans for today. Tsu came home sick and then gave it to me. Hopefully we'll be up for a feast on Christmas day.

It's a caraway flavored distill (I was told to pronounce it ah-kuh-veet - arildno can correct that). Incidentally, it translates identically to whiskey (more correctly uisge beata).

Ivan Seeking said:
What is aquavit?
The Wikipedia entry seems pretty accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akvavit
Ordinarily, I find aquavit a bit too "sharp" for my liking (that would be the anis and caraway seeds' fault), however it is well-suited to fatty(?) meats like pork ribs and such.

I prefer the well-rounded "Gammel Oppland" ("the Olde Uplands") which is not as sharp as, say, Løiten's.
We had to cancel our plans for today. Tsu came home sick and then gave it to me. Hopefully we'll be up for a feast on Christmas day.

Hope both of you get well soon!:smile:

Last edited:
Akvavit ? Ok, this is something new. lol

Best Wishes to everybody

greets
marlon

Aquavit. :yuck: Arildno, you told me you didn't drink that stuff.

Ivan, hope you and Tsu feel better soon.

Evo said:
Aquavit. :yuck: Arildno, you told me you didn't drink that stuff.
One glass only. During Christmas, never else. It is a tradition..

I mercifully forget the experience during the rest of the year..

Happy Holidays!

Ivan Seeking said:

No! Nyquil and Near Beer are for New Years Eve celebrations, not Christmas! :grumpy: Next year, I think you should suggest she not give you any early gifts like that. :yuck:

If I get myself to the store before the seafood counter closes, I'm going to enjoy some sort of fish for dinner tomorrow (I'll see what they have before deciding what it'll be). If not, it'll be something far less interesting.

Flounder is a nice fish! :smile:

I wish everyone the very best holiday! May our blessings be as many as the posts on PF.

arildno said:
I was just saying how I wanted a flounder. They are wonderful. :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
What is aquavit?

I seem to remember Aquavit tastes a bit like Nyquil. Get well, you guys.

arildno said:

Nah, they're only good as frozen paddles! :devil: I want a fish with flavor...though flounder might be all they have left by now. :rolleyes:

What is "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration"?

"Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration" is a traditional celebration that takes place during the winter solstice to honor the longest night of the year and the return of the sun's light. It is often celebrated by Pagans and Wiccans, but anyone can participate in the festivities.

When is "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration"?

"Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration" takes place on the winter solstice, which falls on December 21st in the Northern Hemisphere and June 21st in the Southern Hemisphere. However, some people may choose to celebrate on the eve of the solstice (December 20th or June 20th) or on the nearest weekend for convenience.

What are some traditional activities during "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration"?

Some traditional activities during "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration" include lighting candles or a Yule log, decorating with evergreens and holly, exchanging gifts, and feasting with loved ones. Many also incorporate rituals and spells to welcome back the sun's light and set intentions for the coming year.

What is the significance of the Yule log during "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration"?

The Yule log is a symbol of the returning sun and its light. It is traditionally made from a large, hard wood log and burned in the fireplace or outside bonfire. As the log burns, it brings warmth and light to the darkness of winter and represents the hope and renewal of the coming year.

How can I participate in "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration" if I am not Pagan or Wiccan?

Anyone can participate in "Merry Yuletide & Sunreturn: PF Celebration" regardless of their religious beliefs. You can join in on traditional activities like decorating, feasting, and gift-giving, or you can create your own unique traditions. It is also a great opportunity to learn about Pagan and Wiccan beliefs and practices and gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for different cultures and traditions.