Using Mesh Analysis to Solve for Current and Voltage in Complex Circuits

In summary, this question is part of my electronics CW, I've done it before, but briefly. and looking back at all my old notes I've realized that every single one I've done before has 2 sources and only 2 loops, whereas you can see from the image below that this has 3 and its getting me in quite a kerfuffle. help is appreciated.
ash-kennard
this question is part of my electronics CW, I've done it before, but briefly. and looking back at all my old notes I've realized that every single one I've done before has 2 sources and only 2 loops, whereas you can see from the image below that this has 3 and its getting me in quite a kerfuffle. help is appreciated

"With the calculated value of R1, determine the current through resistor R5 using mesh analysis. Using this current value, determine the voltage across resistor R5.

You need to clearly indicate the mesh current directions and voltage drop directions. Your answer should include Kirchhoff’s law Voltage (KVL) equations for each loop and method that you used for solving simultaneous equations. "

my attempt at the solution gets stuck at the KVL rule. i am fairly certain I am wrong but so far I've gotten this far: left mesh=I1 top right mesh=I2 bottom left =I3

i believe all the loops are clockwise

I1= V=R1*(I1-I2)+R4*(I1-I3)
I2= 0=R5*(I2±I3)+R1*(I2-I1)+R5*I2
I3= 0=R3*I3+R4*(I3-I1)+R5(I3±I2)

can someone please give me a heads up how to keep this going as its really bothering me now.

regards ash kennard

EDIT: R20 was mean to be R2, but multisim wouldn't let me change it for some reason :S

EDIT: i think i have the KVL down now, but the places i have"±" i am confused which sign to have. an input on that for now would be awesome. cheers guys xxx

Attachments

• mesh analysis.jpg
    mesh analysis.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of the loops is completely arbitrary. Maintain consistency, and the directions will work themselves out properly once you've performed your analysis.

EDIT: And if all the loops are assumed to have current going clockwise through them, you can see that the currents due to I2 and I3 will be going in opposite directions through R5, and will thus have a negative sign.

so it is this?

I2= 0=R5*(I2-I3)+R1*(I2-I1)+R5*I2
I3= 0=R3*I3+R4*(I3-I1)+R5(I3-I2)

hi ash-kennard! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
ash-kennard said:
so it is this?

I2= 0=R5*(I2-I3)+R1*(I2-I1)+R5*I2
I3= 0=R3*I3+R4*(I3-I1)+R5(I3-I2)

looks fine … now solve! :smile:

(except too many "=" signs and "I"s … perhaps you could write eg "Mesh1:" instead of "I1 =" ? :wink:)

bollocksed the calculation of R1, so here's the new picture haha

Attachments

• mesh analysis.jpg
    mesh analysis.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 381
just a quick on now, if i have
mesh 1:
V=R1*(I1-I2)+R4*(I1-I3)
mesh 2:
0=R5*(I2-I3)+R1*(I2-I1)+R5*I2
mesh 3:
0=R3*I3+R4*(I3-I1)+R5(I3-I2)

rearranged so they can be solved using a matrix will they look like this?
mesh 1:
I1*(R1+R4)-I2*(R1)-I3*(R4)=V
mesh 2:
-I1*(R1)+I2*(R1+R2+R5)-I3*(R5)=0
mesh 3:
-I1*(R4)-I2*(R5)+I3*(R3+R4+R5)=0

is this right? if so i can crack out a matrix i think :)

looks ok

brilliant, thank you very much tiny-tom and matlabdude. ill let you know how i get on

ignore that last one I am going to try a different method haha

You're not forced to use a matrix to solve. Just solve your first two equations for different unknowns and substitute into the third.

solved it using the matrix, cheers lads xxx

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis, also known as loop analysis, is a method used to analyze electrical circuits. It involves creating equations based on Kirchhoff's voltage law for each independent loop in the circuit, and then solving those equations to determine the currents flowing through each branch of the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of mesh analysis?

The purpose of mesh analysis is to determine the currents flowing through each branch of a circuit. This can be useful for understanding the behavior of a circuit, designing new circuits, and troubleshooting existing circuits.

3. How do you perform mesh analysis?

To perform mesh analysis, you first need to label each loop in the circuit with a unique variable. Then, using Kirchhoff's voltage law, you can create equations for each loop by summing the voltage drops around the loop. Finally, you can solve the resulting equations to determine the currents in each branch of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between mesh analysis and nodal analysis?

The main difference between mesh analysis and nodal analysis is the approach to creating equations. In mesh analysis, equations are created for each independent loop in the circuit, while in nodal analysis, equations are created for each node in the circuit. Both methods can be used to solve the same circuit, but one may be more convenient or efficient depending on the circuit's complexity.

5. What are the limitations of mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is limited to circuits that can be represented as a series of independent loops. It cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, such as a transistor, or for circuits with more than one source. Additionally, mesh analysis may not be the most efficient method for solving certain types of circuits, and other methods such as nodal analysis may be more suitable.