Solving Dependent Voltage Sources in AC Circuit Mesh Analysis

In summary, the problem with using mesh analysis on the given AC circuit is due to the uncertainty of the potential drop across the dependent current source. However, it is possible to determine the value of Vo using nodal analysis. Alternatively, source transformation can be used to convert the dependent current source into a voltage source. It is also important to note that the dependent source in the circuit is a current source, which simplifies the calculation of Vo. By replacing I3 with 2Vo = 2(I1 - I2), the need for a third equation is eliminated, making the analysis easier.
jhmz
Im doing mesh analysis on an AC circuit only problem is i don't know how to handle the dependant voltage source.

My circuit:
http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accircuitrx0.jpg

I think I am supposed to just assign a value for Vo but I am not sure. Is it possible to work out what Vo is?

Thankss

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a problem with using mesh analysis here: you don't know the potential drop across the dependent current source. Yes you can work out what V0 is. I did it using nodal analysis.

If you really want to use mesh analysis, you should use source transformation to convert that dependent current source to a voltage source.

EDIT: Ok, scratch out that the last sentence above. I can't remember if you can apply source transformation to a dependent source. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited:
ok up until 5minutes after i posted this i thought that the dependent source was a voltage source (facepalm) i should have known it was a current source lol. So it makes things easier that it is a current source.

Vo is simply I1 - I2, as V = IZ but the impedance at the resistor is 1 so therefore:
V = IZ
V = I*1
V = I

Now instead of having 3 equations (for 3 mesh's) and unknowns to find you can simply replace what would have been I3 (in the third mesh) with 2Vo = 2(I1 - I2) which eliminates the need for the third equation

Thanksss

1. What is mesh analysis in AC circuits?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve circuits containing multiple loops or meshes. It involves applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to each mesh in the circuit to determine the currents flowing through each branch.

2. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Mesh analysis is based on Kirchhoff's voltage law and is used to analyze circuits with multiple loops, while nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's current law and is used to analyze circuits with multiple nodes.

3. What is the purpose of using complex numbers in mesh analysis for AC circuits?

In AC circuits, the voltage and current are represented by complex numbers due to the presence of both magnitude and phase. Mesh analysis uses complex numbers to accurately represent the phase relationships between currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. How do you solve a circuit using mesh analysis?

To solve a circuit using mesh analysis, you need to identify all the meshes in the circuit and assign a current variable to each. Then, write Kirchhoff's voltage law equations for each mesh, substituting the complex numbers for the voltages and currents. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the currents in each branch.

5. What are the limitations of mesh analysis in AC circuits?

Mesh analysis can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of meshes. It also assumes that all components in the circuit are linear, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may not be suitable for circuits with non-sinusoidal sources or complex loads.