1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesh analysis with AC circuit

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    Im doing mesh analysis on an AC circuit only problem is i dont know how to handle the dependant voltage source.

My circuit:

I think im supposed to just assign a value for Vo but im not sure. Is it possible to work out what Vo is?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

There's a problem with using mesh analysis here: you don't know the potential drop across the dependent current source. Yes you can work out what V0 is. I did it using nodal analysis.

If you really want to use mesh analysis, you should use source transformation to convert that dependent current source to a voltage source.

EDIT: Ok, scratch out that the last sentence above. I can't remember if you can apply source transformation to a dependent source. Can someone confirm this?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    ok up until 5minutes after i posted this i thought that the dependent source was a voltage source (facepalm) i should have known it was a current source lol. So it makes things easier that it is a current source.

Vo is simply I1 - I2, as V = IZ but the impedance at the resistor is 1 so therefore:
    V = IZ
    V = I*1
    V = I

Now instead of having 3 equations (for 3 mesh's) and unknowns to find you can simply replace what would have been I3 (in the third mesh) with 2Vo = 2(I1 - I2) which eliminates the need for the third equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?