Find the Three Mesh Currents: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, The task is to find the three mesh currents in a circuit using KVL and solving a system of equations. The currents for each loop are calculated to be i1=26.4878 A, i2=44.1463A, and i3=12.3415 A. However, when calculating the power for each element, the result is not equal to zero as expected. After further discussion, it is determined that the power supplied by active devices should equal the power consumed by passive devices, resulting in a small discrepancy of 0.9541. All calculations were found to be correct.
xlu2

Homework Statement

Find the three mesh current.

12.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

I numbered the loop 1 with 2 and 3 ohms, loop 2 with 3, 5, and 212 V, and loop 3 with 3, 122V, and 5. All currents are clockwise.

So for Loop 1: 2i1+3(i1-i2)=0
Loop 2: 3(i2-i1)+5(i2-i3)-212=0
Loop 3: 3i3+122+5(i3-i2)=0

I solve the system and got i1=26.4878 A, i2=44.1463A, i3=12.3415 A.

But when I plug them back in for power, I do not get 0 for every loop. So I know I must doing something wrong here. So would anyone please help me to see where I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
KVL says nothing about power in a loop.

lewando said:
KVL says nothing about power in a loop.

From my textbook, I learned that if we add the powers for all the elements in the circuit, the result should be zero because energy is neither created nor destroyed.

Okay, then then power supplied by the active devices should equal the power consumed by the passive devices. What are you getting?

lewando said:
Okay, then then power supplied by the active devices should equal the power consumed by the passive devices. What are you getting?

I get a negative number.

I mean, what, specifically, are you getting for each element?

lewando said:
I mean, what, specifically, are you getting for each element?

2 ohms: P=i1^2*R=26.49^2*2=1403.44
3 ohms: P=3(i1-i2)^2=3(26.49-44.15)^2=935.6268
5 ohms: P=5(i2-i3)^2=5(44.15-12.34)^2=5059.3805
3 ohms: P=3i3^2=3(12.34)^2=456.8268

122 V: P=IV=122*12.34=1505.48
212 V: P=IV=-212*44.15=-9359.8

I got 0.9541. Unbelievable.

I guess all the numbers are correct!

Good work by you!

Likes 1 person

What is the purpose of finding the three mesh currents?

The purpose of finding the three mesh currents is to analyze and solve electrical circuits using the Mesh Current Method. This method simplifies complex circuits into smaller, solvable loops known as meshes, making it easier to determine the current flow in each branch of the circuit.

What is the Mesh Current Method?

The Mesh Current Method is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits by breaking them down into smaller, solvable loops known as meshes. It involves assigning currents to each mesh and then using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to write equations for each mesh. These equations are then solved simultaneously to determine the current flow in each branch of the circuit.

How do you find the three mesh currents?

To find the three mesh currents using the Mesh Current Method, follow these steps:

• Identify the meshes in the circuit and label them.
  • Assign a current variable to each mesh, in the direction of your choice.
  • Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to each mesh, writing a separate equation for each.
  • Solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the mesh currents.

What are the advantages of using the Mesh Current Method?

The advantages of using the Mesh Current Method include:

• It simplifies complex circuits into smaller, solvable loops.
  • It can be used for both DC and AC circuits.
  • It is systematic and follows a step-by-step process.
  • It provides a clear understanding of the current flow in each branch of the circuit.

Can the Mesh Current Method be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, the Mesh Current Method can be used for all types of circuits, including series, parallel, and mixed circuits. It is a general method that can be applied to any circuit as long as it can be broken down into meshes.