Mesh Circuit/Kirchhoff's Rule

• Thread starter StarMan1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a mesh circuit and using Kirchhoff's rules to find the potential differences between different points in the circuit. The equations and steps for solving the problem are discussed, including the use of junction rules and substitution to eliminate variables. The process may be tedious due to the number of variables involved.
StarMan1234

Homework Statement

In the figure ε = 9.55 V, R1 = 2090 Ω, R2 = 3360 Ω, and R3 = 4440 Ω. What are the potential differences (in V) (a) VA - VB, (b) VB - VC, (c) VC - VD, and (d) VA - VC?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mes...rcuits.com%2Fvol_1%2Fchpt_10%2F3.html;430;283

This figure is NOT the same as my problem, although the wires are the same. The resistors are in a different order. R2 is on the TOP LEFT and BOTTOM RIGHT, R3 is in the MIDDLE, and R1 is on the TOP RIGHT and BOTTOM LEFT. Hope this makes sense. R4 and R5 are only in the image I provided.

In the problem I define currents (I1 throught I5) as corresponding to the resistors in the diagram.

Homework Equations

Junction Rule
Kirchhoff's Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I2=I3+I5
I4=I1+I3

Loop Equations:
E-I1R2-I4R1=0
E-I2R1-I3R3-I4R1=0
E-I1R2-I3R3-I5R2=0
E-I2R1-I5R2=0
Anyone familiar with this type of problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
StarMan1234 said:

Homework Statement

In the figure ε = 9.55 V, R1 = 2090 Ω, R2 = 3360 Ω, and R3 = 4440 Ω. What are the potential differences (in V) (a) VA - VB, (b) VB - VC, (c) VC - VD, and (d) VA - VC?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mes...rcuits.com%2Fvol_1%2Fchpt_10%2F3.html;430;283

This figure is NOT the same as my problem, although the wires are the same. The resistors are in a different order. R2 is on the TOP LEFT and BOTTOM RIGHT, R3 is in the MIDDLE, and R1 is on the TOP RIGHT and BOTTOM LEFT. Hope this makes sense. R4 and R5 are only in the image I provided.

In the problem I define currents (I1 throught I5) as corresponding to the resistors in the diagram.

Homework Equations

Junction Rule
Kirchhoff's Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I2=I3+I5
I4=I1+I3

Loop Equations:
E-I1R2-I4R1=0
E-I2R1-I3R3-I4R1=0
E-I1R2-I3R3-I5R2=0
E-I2R1-I5R2=0
Anyone familiar with this type of problem?

Wow, a problem that's a problem to decipher; Your description is a puzzle in itself.

From what I've been able to figure, you've got something like this?
attachment.php?attachmentid=55815&stc=1&d=1361053740.gif

It's not good practice to have multiple components with the same name (two R1's, two R2's), since it will make following the intent of equations written more difficult.

Regarding the equations that you wrote, note that once you've fixed a current's direction that the potential drop across resistors that it passes through is also fixed in polarity. When you pass though that component doing a "KVL walk" around a loop, be sure to take into account the correct sign for the resulting potential change. Specifically, you've passed through R3 in different directions for two of the equations that you've written, but ascribed the same polarity of potential drop in both cases.

Note also that you only need to select and write equations for just enough loops so that every component is included at least once. In the case of this circuit you can get away with a minimum of 3 loops. And finally, not every loop has to include the voltage source -- it would be fine to use the "triangular" loops too, if you wished.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,168
Your diagram is perfect.

Okay, I see what you mean.

My equations:
-I2R1-I3R3+I1R2=0 (upper triangle)
-I3R3-I4R1+I5R2=0 (lower triangle)
E-I1R2-I4R1=0 (simplest path that includes the battery)

This part is where I'm absolutely stuck. I have 5 unknown currents, and 3 equations. My job is to use the junction rules to simplify them. How do I use the following?

I2=I3+I5
I4=I1+I3

StarMan1234 said:
Your diagram is perfect.

Okay, I see what you mean.

My equations:
-I2R1-I3R3+I1R2=0 (upper triangle)
-I3R3-I4R1+I5R2=0 (lower triangle)
E-I1R2-I4R1=0 (simplest path that includes the battery)

This part is where I'm absolutely stuck. I have 5 unknown currents, and 3 equations. My job is to use the junction rules to simplify them. How do I use the following?

I2=I3+I5
I4=I1+I3

Temporarily add a current that flows through the battery, then you can do KCL at the top and bottom nodes...

I1+I2=I4+I5

Is this what you mean?

StarMan1234 said:
I1+I2=I4+I5

Is this what you mean?

Yup. You should now have enough equations to find your unknowns.

Can you recommend any simple way to solve all the equation to find, say, I2?

I don't know where to begin with them. I could use a calculator with matrix functions to help, but is that the only way. It looks as if the equations are all interdependent.

StarMan1234 said:
Can you recommend any simple way to solve all the equation to find, say, I2?

I don't know where to begin with them. I could use a calculator with matrix functions to help, but is that the only way. It looks as if the equations are all interdependent.

The usual procedure is to eliminate variables by substitution. Isolate a variable in one equation (giving an expression for that variable in terms of the remaining variables), then substitute that expression for the variable into the remaining equations. The remaining equations then have one less unknown. Repeat until you are left with a single equation in one variable and solve for it. Then back-substitute to find the rest.

These equations are going to be a bit of a pain because of the number of variables involved; Lots of current variables were introduced and need to be whittled down by substitutions. So the solution by hand will be rather tedious. If the circuit analysis method had been a "true" mesh current method (presumably something you will cover later), then there would be only three equations in three unknowns.

1. What is a mesh circuit?

A mesh circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is formed by a series of interconnected loops, or meshes. It is commonly used to analyze and solve complex electrical circuits, especially those with multiple sources and resistors.

2. How does Kirchhoff's Rule apply to a mesh circuit?

Kirchhoff's Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero. In a mesh circuit, this rule is applied by considering the currents flowing through each individual loop or mesh.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel mesh circuits?

In a series mesh circuit, all the resistors and sources are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel mesh circuit, there are multiple interconnected loops. This results in different equations and calculations when applying Kirchhoff's Rule.

4. How do you solve a mesh circuit?

To solve a mesh circuit, you must first identify all the meshes and label them with a current variable. Then, apply Kirchhoff's Rule to each mesh, setting up equations for the currents and solving for the unknown variables. Lastly, use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage drops across each resistor.

5. What are some common applications of mesh circuits?

Mesh circuits are commonly used in the analysis and design of electronic circuits, such as in power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. They are also used in more complex systems, such as in control engineering and microelectronics. Additionally, mesh circuits are important in understanding the behavior and performance of networks and communication systems.