Mesh Wi-Fi, extender, ADSL2+

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
In summary: Ethernet over power-line" In summary, the person is having issues with the internet speeds and connecting their devices. They are considering a mesh wifi system to try and improve the situation.
lekh2003
Gold Member
I've recently moved into a house with ADSL2+. It is a very old old method of connecting to the internet. I'm having issues with the internet speeds as well as just generally connecting my devices.

The biggest issue is that there is absolute no ethernet in the entire house. There is only one ADSL port and that is in the kitchen. It is an absolute pain. I was thinking of buying a mesh wifi system to put around the house since it is a three story house. I was thinking of getting something like Google Wifi. I would put one of the mesh routers through ethernet connected directly to the router, and then one on each floor connected through wifi. I would then connect my devices to the mesh wifi through ethernet. I hope you're keeping up with me.

My connection is only 6mbps. I feel like I'm living in the desert when I'm basically in the city. It's ironic since my older house in the desert had 25 mbps.

What do you tech experts think I should do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Get two cups and a string. :-)

What about an unlimited cellular data plan?

Likes ISamson
jedishrfu said:
Get two cups and a string. :-)

No Ethernet... I'm getting 12 Mbps through 4g and that was my initial thought. But there are way too many devices in all kinds of places in my house. I would need a normal home router.

Plus, my provider doesn't offer unlimited sim plans.

Likes ISamson
jedishrfu said:

I have asked my father the same thing. He answered that there are no 'unlimited' cellular data plans.

ISamson said:
I have asked my father the same thing. He answered that there are no 'unlimited' cellular data plans.
Pain in the posterior. As well as the sub-par internet and unbelievably old wiring in these houses. Why is the only wifi port in the kitchen:mad:?

You could connect the ethernet in the kitchen to a router (they cost no more that AUD100) and stream the whole house. Or you could research what internet or service provider owns that ethernet and ask for more speed and stuff.

ISamson said:
You could connect the ethernet in the kitchen to a router (they cost no more that AUD100) and stream the whole house. Or you could research what internet or service provider owns that ethernet and ask for more speed and stuff.
The kitchen does not have ethernet. No ethernet at all. I am using an adsl cable. I have a router and we're trying to configure it right now. The problem is that the rooms and TV are quite far away from the kitchen. The set-top box also happens to use ethernet. The only way of me doing anything is either an extender or mesh-wifi.

Then, buy a router, powerful router (to be able to reach whole house), and get unlimited internet on it with Optus or something.

Or, you could always ask your mother to get a 10Gig plan on her phone, your father to get a 10Gig plan on his phone and yourself too, so you have 30G a month + data add-ons. As long as you do not watch movies and not download a lot, you will be covered very well.

I study online and do several courses online. I watch online videos as mentoring for several hours. We watch movies and download a lot. We do have unlimited internet.

There is no such thing as an all-powerful router. I really don't want to be spending 500+ dollars on a long range tri band router. This is why I think I'll just get a mesh wifi system. Some of my devices will not work on wifi, I also need ethernet. Mesh wifi is best.

lekh2003 said:
I really don't want to be spending 500+ dollars on a long range tri band router.

I don't think it will cost 500 dollars. on average - 300.
Ok, then you have your idea. Go with that.

ISamson said:
I don't think it will cost 500 dollars. on average - 300.
I'm ok spending money, but I'm just going to have to spend more money to set up ethernet connections around the house. Might as well settle with the free optus router and get some extenders/mesh.

Was this solved?
lekh2003 said:
I am using an adsl cable.
It's probably a cable with an RJ11 connector. But I don't understand. That cable is used to go to the wall. Normally, ADSL modems already come with Ethernet ports to connect various stations to the modem. Or at least one port.

An Ethernet port in the modem is needed to use Google Wifi.

I would try a repeater bridge. But that's me that already have the equipment. Depending on what you choose, the Google Wifi thingy could be less expensive.

You could also try Ethernet over power-line. Search for homeplug.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
You could also try Ethernet over power-line. Search for homeplug.
Google WiFi was looking too expensive, so we will be trying that if the WiFi acts up. We haven't really used the WiFi intensively yet. We'll see the situation when we start using the wifi around the house.

Cheaper solution is Ethernet through power line. We can just add an Ethernet port to each room.

What is Mesh Wi-Fi?

Mesh Wi-Fi is a wireless networking technology that allows multiple devices to communicate with each other and create a single, seamless Wi-Fi network. This network consists of multiple access points or nodes that work together to provide a strong and reliable Wi-Fi connection throughout a home or building.

How does a Wi-Fi extender work?

A Wi-Fi extender, also known as a repeater, works by receiving the existing Wi-Fi signal from a router and rebroadcasting it to extend the coverage area. It acts as a middleman between the devices and the router, relaying the signal to reach areas that may have poor or no Wi-Fi coverage.

What is ADSL2+?

ADSL2+ is a type of internet connection that uses existing telephone lines to transmit data. It stands for Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line 2+ and is an upgraded version of ADSL technology. It allows for faster download speeds than traditional ADSL, with speeds of up to 24 Mbps.

What are the benefits of using Mesh Wi-Fi?

Mesh Wi-Fi offers several benefits, including wider coverage area, stronger and more reliable Wi-Fi signal, and the ability to seamlessly connect to the strongest signal without interruption. It also allows for easy expansion of the network by adding more nodes as needed, without sacrificing performance.

Do I need to have a specific internet plan to use ADSL2+?

Yes, ADSL2+ requires a specific internet plan from your internet service provider. This technology is not compatible with all internet plans, so it's important to check with your provider to see if they offer ADSL2+ and if your plan supports it.