Optimizing Mesh Uniformity and Connectivity in ABAQUS FE Package

In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of creating a mesh in the FE package ABAQUS. It was mentioned that the mesh does not necessarily have to be uniform and can vary in shape, but it is important to consider non-uniformity. The optimal shape for triangular elements was also discussed. When it comes to two parts influencing each other, it was questioned whether the nodes on one part need to be connected to the other part in order to achieve continuous lines. However, clarification was needed for this point.
Sadeq
I am using FE package called ABAQUS, however my question is general, i read that the mesh should be uniform,so does that mean it should be square, also if i have different parts affect each other, does the nodes on one part need be connected to the other part at the edges(to achieve continuous lines).

I wish if anyone could make this points clear please.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sadeq,

I don't think your mesh has to be uniform: I think that certain packages and softwares actually create more elements near a "point of interest". However, your program has to take into account the non uniformity.

Off of the top of my head, the mesh elements can be any shape.

J.

In order to get good results with FE, for example, your triangular elements should not be long and narrow like a dart. Ideally, triangular elements should be equilateral or like a 45-45-90 right triangle. Similarly, for rectangular elements, try to keep the ratio of the height to the width as close to one as possible.

A finer mesh is used in those regions where it is desired to obtain a relatively high accuracy in the results.

thank you

And for the second question, if i have two parts influence each other,do the nodes be connected(i mean continuous line path through the two parts) which is difficult to be done?please explain this point

It's not clear what you mean. Perhaps an illustration?

1. What is meshing and why is it important in FE analysis?

Meshing is the process of dividing a continuous domain into discrete elements in order to solve a complex problem using the finite element method (FE). This is important because it allows us to accurately represent the geometry and physical properties of a system, making it easier to obtain accurate solutions.

2. How does the quality of the mesh affect the accuracy of the FE analysis?

The quality of the mesh, such as element size and shape, has a significant impact on the accuracy of the FE analysis. A finer mesh with smaller elements can capture more details and provide more accurate results, while a coarser mesh can lead to errors and inaccuracies. It is important to balance the trade-off between computational cost and accuracy when choosing a mesh size.

3. What are some common types of elements used in FE meshing?

Some common types of elements used in FE meshing include triangles, quadrilaterals, tetrahedrons, and hexahedrons. The choice of element type depends on the geometry and complexity of the problem being analyzed.

4. How can we improve the accuracy of the FE analysis if the mesh is not giving satisfactory results?

If the results of the FE analysis are not satisfactory, we can improve the accuracy by refining the mesh, using a different element type, or using higher-order elements. It is also important to check for any errors in the input data and make necessary corrections.

5. Can we use the same mesh for different types of FE analyses?

No, the same mesh cannot be used for different types of FE analyses. Each type of analysis requires a specific type of mesh and element formulation, and using the wrong mesh can lead to inaccurate results. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate mesh for each type of analysis.