1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meshing Properties using FE

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    I am using FE package called ABAQUS, however my question is general, i read that the mesh should be uniform,so does that mean it should be square, also if i have different parts affect each other, does the nodes on one part need be connected to the other part at the edges(to achieve continuous lines).

I wish if anyone could make this points clear please.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2
    Hello Sadeq,

I don't think your mesh has to be uniform: I think that certain packages and softwares actually create more elements near a "point of interest". However, your program has to take into account the non uniformity.

Off of the top of my head, the mesh elements can be any shape.

J.

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to get good results with FE, for example, your triangular elements should not be long and narrow like a dart. Ideally, triangular elements should be equilateral or like a 45-45-90 right triangle. Similarly, for rectangular elements, try to keep the ratio of the height to the width as close to one as possible.

A finer mesh is used in those regions where it is desired to obtain a relatively high accuracy in the results.

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    thank you

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5
    And for the second question, if i have two parts influence each other,do the nodes be connected(i mean continuous line path through the two parts) which is difficult to be done?please explain this point

7. Apr 28, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean. Perhaps an illustration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted