Are Hadrons and Gluons Symmetric Against Interchange of Colours?

In summary, Griffiths' Elementary Particles explains that a quark and anti-quark pair attract each other in a colour singlet configuration, which can partially explain why mesons are colourless. However, there is confusion regarding the virtual gluon exchanged by the pair, as the existence of a colourless gluon is apparently forbidden. The interaction between quarks in a meson bound state may involve the exchange of multiple gluons, but the exact number is not a definable value. Additionally, in the absence of gluons, mesons have three distinct states with no net colour, but quantum mechanics allows for these states to mix into a singlet state. It is unclear if hadrons and gluons exhibit the same symmetry against interchange
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Confusion over mesons and the virtual gluon singlet state
This is from Griffiths' Elementary Particles, section 8.4.1.

By analysing the colour factor, the conclusion is that a quark/anti-quark pair attract in the colour singlet configuration:
$$\frac 1 {\sqrt 3}(r\bar r + b \bar b + g \bar g)$$
And this explains (to some extent) why mesons are colourless.

But, this is what confuses me, if a quark and anti-quark interact in the colour singlet state, does that not mean that the virtual gluon they exchange must be in the colour singlet state too? And, is not the existence of this gluon apparently forbidden?

I'm not able to reconcile these two things.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no colorless gluon. There are however colorless 2 gluon states.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
There is no colorless gluon. There are however colorless 2 gluon states.
How do the quarks in a meson bound state interact? Is it necessarily more complicated than by exchanging a single virtual gluon?

Griffiths shows the simple first level Feynman diagram with the exchange of a single gluon. By my reckoning that gluon hence that process is forbidden. But, perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about the process.

I misunderstood. (My copy is locked in my office, guarded by three-headed dogs or something)

Griffiths is saying a a quark and an antiquark attract each other when they form a color singlet. By color conservation (q qbar g) is in the same color stated as (q qbar), so the total state is in a singlet. The gluon by itself is in an octet.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Vanadium 50 said:
I misunderstood. (My copy is locked in my office, guarded by three-headed dogs or something)

Griffiths is saying a a quark and an antiquark attract each other when they form a color singlet. By color conservation (q qbar g) is in the same color stated as (q qbar), so the total state is in a singlet. The gluon by itself is in an octet.
Okay, thanks. So the gluon will be something like ##\frac 1 {\sqrt 6}(r\bar r + b \bar b - 2 g \bar g)##.

I haven't reached the stage yet where I can explain why. I just assumed we'd need the singlet to do the job.

Something like that. The actual representation doesn't matter, since it's not a physical observable.

So the mesons have, in absence of gluons, three states with no net colour:
r+r-, b+b-, g+g
There are six simple allowed states of gluons, all of them coloured:
rb-, rg-, br-, bg-, gr-, gb-
So a meson in one of the three white states can undergo a transition
r+r-->b+rb-+r-->b+b-
Each of the three colour states of meson can convert into each other state by the intermediate state of two quarks and one gluon. In longer term, all three states are equally probable (no colour has lower energy than others) so the long term state of a meson has equal contribution of all colour states.
Is the average number of gluons in a meson a definable value?

snorkack said:
Is the average number of gluons in a meson a definable value?

No.

snorkack said:
So the mesons have, in absence of gluons, three states with no net colour:

No. They are in a singlet. One state.

Likes vanhees71
Classically, the states of an electron without angular momentum oscillating through the proton along x-axis, y-axis or z-axis are distinct and cannot convert to each other.
Quantum mechanically, due to Heisenberg uncertainty, the electron orbits spread into electron clouds, and all states without angular momentum mix into singlet s orbitals - 1s, 2s and so on, perfectly symmetrical to interchange of the three space coordinate axes.
Are hadrons and gluons symmetric against interchange of colours?

1. What is a meson colour singlet state?

A meson colour singlet state is a type of subatomic particle that consists of a quark and an antiquark bound together by the strong nuclear force. This state is known as a "colour singlet" because the combination of colours (red, green, and blue) of the quark and antiquark cancel each other out, resulting in a neutral colour state.

2. How does the concept of colour charge apply to meson colour singlet states?

The concept of colour charge is a fundamental principle in the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD) that describes the strong nuclear force. In meson colour singlet states, the quark and antiquark have opposite colour charges that cancel each other out, resulting in a neutral colour state. This allows the meson to exist as a stable particle.

3. What are the properties of meson colour singlet states?

Meson colour singlet states have a number of properties, including a well-defined mass, spin, and parity. They also have a finite lifetime due to the strong nuclear force, which eventually causes them to decay into other particles. Additionally, meson colour singlet states are subject to the laws of conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

4. How are meson colour singlet states observed and studied?

Meson colour singlet states are observed and studied through experiments using particle accelerators. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists can create and observe meson colour singlet states as they decay into other particles. These experiments provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of these subatomic particles.

5. What is the significance of meson colour singlet states in particle physics?

Meson colour singlet states play a crucial role in our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the structure of matter. They are also important in the study of the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. Additionally, meson colour singlet states have practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.