1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meson decay

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) η decays into two photons, but not three. Through which interaction does the decay occur. What is C(η)?

b) ρ0 decays into [itex]\pi^{+}\pi^{-}[/itex] but [itex]\eta^0[/itex] does not. Why is that?

c) [itex]\omega[/itex] decays through electromagnetic interaction into [itex]\pi^0[/itex][itex]\gamma[/itex]. C([itex]\omega[/itex])?

d) [itex]b_1(1235)[/itex] decays almost solely into [itex]\omega\pi[/itex] Reason what the isospin, parity ,C, and spin from b might be.

2. Relevant equations
    conservation laws
    [itex]P=(-1)^{L+1}[/itex]
    [itex]S=(-1)^{L+S}[/itex]
    spin either 0 or 1 for mesons - is that correct ? I know that there are technically only to constituents but the flavour wave functions have weird structures.
    3. The attempt at a solution

Would someone be so kind and help me through this? I still struggle to get my head into this.

a) is the only one I am able to solve:
    the c parity has to be multiplied. the photon has a c parity of -1 and therefore C is 1 here.
    electromagnetic.
    b) I am not sure whether I am allowed to look up the [itex]J^{PC}[/itex] value. I guess so, otherwise it's not possibly to solve ?
    The roh has 1++ and the eta has 0-+
    Using the formulas above I get l=1 for eta and l=0 for rho.
    The Parity is calculated via [itex](-1)^l\cdot P_1\cdot P_2[/itex]
    from the data booklet I get 0- for the pion thus parity(pion=-1) (is there a way to prove the parity by the way?)
    How do I get to L([itex]\pi^{+}\pi^{-}[/itex])?

c)
    With c([itex]\gamma[/itex])=-1 and ([itex]\pi^0[/itex])=1 it should be c([itex]\omega[/itex])=-1*1=-1

d)
    Omega has 1-- and Pion 0-+. The spin follows therefore 1 and 0.
    c(b)=c(omega)*c(pi)= -1.
    Again I have no idea how to calculate the angular momentum between the final products.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted