1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meson emission, real or virtual?

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that a high-energy nucleon is emitting a pion, i.e. the process N→N+π. Is the pion real or virtual or both? Motivate your answer with a calculation or a good argument.

2. Relevant equations

Virtual particles does not obey energy (and momentum) conservation. The virtual particle never appears in the final state.

3. The attempt at a solution

I would say that the answer depends on the excitation enrgy of the nucleon and if the pi meson is reabsorbed. But I would spontaneous say that high - energy nucleon means energy is lower than the mass of delta (1232 MeV, mass of nucleon approx 940MeV, mass pion = 140MeV). Also I would think that the RHS is the final state, so that the pion is a real particle.

What do you guys think about that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

pam

Since the process cannot occur as an isolated process, at least one of the particles must be virtual.

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

okay, according to what argument?

5. Jan 5, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what can I check to see if it cant occur as an isolated process?

Hint?

6. Jan 5, 2008 #5

pam

That's a better response, since we are not having an argument, but a discussion.
    Use the invariant E^2-p^2. E^2-p^2=M^2 forthe proton.
    For p plus pi, [tex](E_p+E_\pi)^2-({\vec p}_p+{\vec p}_\pi)^2
    =M^2+m^2+2(E_p E_\pi-{\vec p}_p\cdot{\vec p}_\pi)[/tex],
    which must be greater than M^2.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  7. Jan 6, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but the nucleon on the LHS is excited, so there is not the same [tex] E_{\text{p}} [/tex] on the RHS.

edit: my original post (which I cant edit), the process should be (if you have not read):

[tex] N^* \rightarrow N + \pi [/tex]

the text is the same: "Assume that a high-energy nucleon is emitting a pion"

8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

pam

It's a bit frustrating to give two answers to a question and find out four days later that the wrong question was asked.
    If the original N is N*, an excited nucleon, everything is different.
    In that case, the particiles may be real or vilrtual.
    All known N* are more massive than M_p+m_pi.
    If the process is an isolated N* decaying to N and p, then all particles are real.
    If N*-->N + pi is part of a more complex perturbation diagram, then one or all could be virtual. Only if a particle is in the initial or final state of an interaction is the particle real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?