Predicted Meson Masses: Working Out the Spins

In summary, the conversation discusses determining predicted meson masses by using the quark up and down masses and the A value in the equation m=(q\overline{q})=m_{1}+m_{2}+A\frac{S_{1} \bullet S_{2}}{m_{1}m_{2}}. The spin of a quark is s=1/2 and the dot product s1.s2 gives either a positive or negative contribution. The equations M=m_{1}+m_{2}-\frac{3A}{4m_{1}m_{2}} and M=m_{1}+m_{2}+\frac{A}{4m_{1}m_{
genloz

Homework Statement

I'm trying to determine the predicted meson masses but am having a little trouble with working out the spins...

Homework Equations

[tex]m=(q\overline{q})=m_{1}+m_{2}+A\frac{S_{1} \bullet S_{2}}{m_{1}m_{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that using a quark up and down mass of 310MeV/c^2 and an A value of 0.06GeV^3 I can simply sub these values into the equation, but how do I determine the spin?

I found an equation:
[tex]S_{1}\bulletS_{2}=0.5[S(S+1)-S_{1}(S_{1}+1)-S_{2}(S_{2}+1)][/tex]
but I'm a bit confused about how the quark spins relate to the above formula...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A quark has spin s=1/2. If we assume the quarks have a definite z-component of spin (where z is an arbitrary direction we choose), then each can have either sz=+1/2 or
sz=-1/2. The two different quarks can be relatively aligned or anti-aligned, so the dot product s1.s2 gives + or - contribution.

Thanks for that! But where does the second equation come into it? What are S, S1 and S2? Is it possible to demonstrate with an example somehow please? Like an up quark (spin +1/2) and a down quark (spin -1/2) how these equations work?

Okay, I understand that for spin 0:
[tex]M=m_{1}+m_{2}-\frac{3A}{4m_{1}m_{2}}[/tex]
and for spin 1:
[tex]M=m_{1}+m_{2}+\frac{A}{4m_{1}m_{2}}[/tex]

I understand that the [tex]\pi[/tex] for example has spin 0 and the [tex]\rho[/tex] has spin 1... I know that they both have an up and an antiup quark (or a down and an antidown quark) but I still don't understand how the calculation of spin works...

what does A stands for?

1. What is a meson?

A meson is a subatomic particle made up of a quark and an antiquark. It is a type of hadron, which are particles made up of quarks bound together by the strong nuclear force.

2. How are meson masses predicted?

Meson masses are predicted using mathematical models and calculations based on the fundamental laws of physics, such as quantum chromodynamics. These models take into account the properties of the quarks and the forces that bind them together.

3. What is meant by "spins" in the context of predicted meson masses?

Spins refer to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In the context of meson masses, spins are used to classify and identify different types of mesons. They are also an important factor in predicting the mass of a meson.

4. How accurate are the predicted masses of mesons?

The accuracy of predicted meson masses depends on several factors, such as the complexity of the mathematical models used and the precision of experimental data. Generally, the predicted masses have a margin of error, but they are often very close to the actual measured masses.

5. Can predicted meson masses be experimentally verified?

Yes, predicted meson masses can be experimentally verified through particle accelerator experiments. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists can observe the creation and decay of mesons, which can provide valuable data to confirm or refine the predicted masses.