1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mess Kit Momentum Question

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    A 8.0 kg mess kit sliding on a frictionless surface explodes into two 4 kg parts, one moving at 2.5 m/s, due north, and the other at 4.5 m/s, 30° north of east. What was the original speed of the mess kit?

Known equations:
    PM= p1m1+p2m2

I tried to give this question a shot but to no avail. I tried to switch the axis to make the problem easier, but still got the wrong answer. 8(unknown velocity) = 4(4.5kg)(cos60) + 4(2.5)cos0 adn I got 2.375m/s, but this wasn't right....so I tried it from the same perspective on the y axis 8(unknown velocity in y direction) = 4(4.5kg)sin60 + 4(2.5)sin0(this drops off) and got 1.9485m/s....this wasn't the same as the other velocity so I know I am doing something wrong....any pointers?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That gives you one component of the velocity (assuming your arithmetic is correct).
    That gives you the other component.

In summary:

Find the components of the total momentum: x-components (east) and y-components (north). Once you have the components of the total momentum and then the components of the original velocity, then you can find the magnitude.
  4. May 10, 2008 #3
    So I found the components of the total momentum, but how would I relate that back to the original momentums of the problem to find the velocity of the 8kg messkit? Would I add the x and y direction momentums (p=19 for x) and (p=15.588 for y) and then divide by 8?.....when I did that I got 4.324m/s for the initial 8kg mass's velocity. I'm not sure if that is right though.
  5. May 10, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Do like this: Find the x- and y-components of the momentum of each 4 kg piece. Add the x-components up to get the x-component of the total momentum, which is the x-component of the original momentum; use that to find the x-component of the original velocity. Do the same thing for the y-components to find the y-component of the original velocity.

Once you have the components of the velocity vector, find the magnitude like any other vector: Use the Pythagorean theorem.
  6. May 10, 2008 #5
    Infinite thank yous. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?