Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Message for Rach3

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1
    Hey Rach3! This is you on 12/19, sending a message to the future version of yourself, as reminder.

1) It is reasonable to use a relatively blunt knife to deskin a salmon, if a nice sharp one is unavailable. Also, the consumption of moderate quantities of delicious sake is perfectly acceptable in social occasions. However, the chronology of events is rather important; it is best to slice your fish before consuming the sake.

2) When you stop by the store tomorrow, do pick up some alcohol swabs, will you? I seem to have run out.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2006 #2

Hey Mk! This is you on 12/19, sending a message to the future version of yourself, as reminder.

1) Although you should be working from when you wake up until eleven o'clock pm at least, stick in a few games of chess against the computer. Try not to write any music until eleven!

2) Don't forget to buy meat. You were all out except for a large uncooked ham today.
  4. Dec 18, 2006 #3
    Mk, I too have a message for you: you missed the subtle irony of my post! Please do reread-it and enjoy a nice, expansive laugh. Preferably with sake and a first-aid kit.

5. Dec 19, 2006 #4
    Question for biologist members! What's the difference in effectiveness between "antiseptics" like isopropanol, and "antibiotics" like neosporin? Google doesn't help me here. Or maybe the ethanol (not isopropanol) is interfering with my capacity to utilize Google to the maximum extent possible.
  6. Dec 19, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An antibiotic is substance produce by microorganism that inhibit the growth or kill bacteria. Technically most of the current antibiotics are not produce by microorganism but are synthesized instead. However, there are still consider antibiotics because they are derived from antibiotics that are produce by microorganism.

An antiseptics is substance that inhibit the growth or kill of any type of microorganism that are on living tissue and skin.

The major differences are that an antibiotics is produced by a specific source, has a specific targeted group and can be used within a human with very little negative side effects

The problem is that people use the word antibiotics and antiseptics are bit to liberally.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  7. Dec 19, 2006 #6

Theres 19 months in a year?

8. Dec 19, 2006 #7

Staff: Mentor

It's a long year. :rofl:
  9. Dec 19, 2006 #8
    I don't even remember half of this year, it went so fast.
  10. Dec 19, 2006 #9
    didn't they mean to say 19/12?
  11. Dec 19, 2006 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Silly Europeans. :rolleyes: You'd probably be confused if I told you Rach3 was 6"5' tall.

What are you guys going to do when 10/11/12 rolls around?
  12. Dec 19, 2006 #11
    you mean 11/10/12????

Now I am confussed :rofl:

This is exactly why I always write the date:

Day-Month-Year --> 19-Dec-2006

As for the 6"5' How many hands & chains is that?

Get with 00's hehe :smile:
  13. Dec 19, 2006 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well our (European) system is most logical as we write our dates in ascending chronological order so the most important information (i.e. the bit that changes most often) is displayed first.

I believe you've had too much sake when you slice off part of your thumb and still believe its salmon.

EDIT: Oh yeah and 1 billion = 1 000 000 000 000 :biggrin:
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  14. Dec 19, 2006 #13

Gold Member

Wouldn't it be more effective if you sent the message to a previous version of yourself? I have committed a few howlers that I would love to be able to warn myself about.
  15. Dec 19, 2006 #14
    If you wrote it year (4 digits), month, date, then it would sort correctly.
  16. Dec 19, 2006 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean 'sort correctly'? Yes that has a logic to it but what people are interested in is the day. You can see this through speech patterns that have developed, because people say for example "the 16th of November 1993". Although saying that Americans would say "November 16th 1993". which is odd to me.

Anyway apologies for hijacking thread actions. :blushing:
  17. Dec 19, 2006 #16

Americans say "November 16th, 1993."

I normally do it in order by size.
  18. Dec 19, 2006 #17
    2004/12/15 < 2005/11/09 < 2006/10/13
    where < stands for sort order and dates are (yyyy/mm/dd). So sort order is the same as chronological order. But
    09/11/2005 < 13/10/2006 < 15/12/2004. So sort order is different from chronological order.
  19. Dec 19, 2006 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah fair enough. That way is more logical for certain applications. :smile:
  20. Dec 19, 2006 #19
    Hey Moose! This is you now (check the postmark)
    1) Good luck on your final tomorrow!
  21. Dec 19, 2006 #20

Homework Helper

Hey Cyclovenom!:

1) Remember to shake your head and smile...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?