Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Message-rating poll

1. Oct 2, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't want cranks and crazies ranking my posts...is there some way we can identify and tag them ?

4. Oct 2, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now that would be a useful feature! :rofl:

I think such a system for ranking individual messages is unnecessary, and likely to turn into more of a popularity contest. And, yeah, I don't want the p-ed off cranks rating my posts either!

It also seems like such a plan to rank individual posts would be overly complicated to implement, and probably wouldn't add much value.

5. Oct 4, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The current system works just fine. Credible posts are easily recognized by those who understand the topic. Medals just identify those who give consistently reliable information.

6. Oct 12, 2004 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Might be worth modifying the thread rating system --- one star bad to five stars good isn't too clear. Good (thumb up), bad (thumb down), and so-so (??) might come closer to being used, and to being easily interpreted. Just a thought.

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, those two intermediate stars just make the system totally incomprehensible. :confused:

- Warren

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you being sarcastic?

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think what he was suggesting, if there's no static on the mind-reading frequency, is that a thread that gets a "bad" rating (one star) looks like it's better than an un-rated thread (no stars). So, I think he's suggesting to come up with symbols other than stars for threads rated lower than average (or whatever the middle stars are). It's one of those things meaningful to those of us conditioned by our primary school teachers to do extraordinary amounts of work to get the coveted prize of a gold star. :biggrin:

10. Oct 13, 2004 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Give that man (woman?) a cigar!

We're rid of the "doublespeak" re. crackpots and TD --- let's stop throwing flowers to both good and bad threads. ---and, what? three stars equals no stars?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?