Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook: Is it Recommended?

In summary, Messiah is a good quantum physics textbook, recommended for students taking a quantum physics course. It is more concise than some other texts, and has a good logico-mathematical foundation. It is not the best choice for more practically oriented students, as it introduces symmetry early.
sniffer
is messiah quantum physics textbook good?
is it recommended?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course,of course,of course.There are better sources on Quantum Mechanics,though.

Daniel.

Where, and don't say Sakurai, I compared them today and would be much happier using Messiah as a text.

Shiff is a classic, Liboff leaves something to be desired. If Griffiths is written in the same style as his Electrodynamics text, I'd never even look at it.

Advanced Quantum texts are a different lot, Bethe wrote one back in the late 60's about the same time he won the Nobel. I likeit. Landau , not Landau and Lif****z, wrote on in the late 90's which is good. Sakurai's advanced book is up there, but so is Mandel, or Aitcheson and Hey or Bjorken and Drell.

Back to the more intro type texts, Cohen-Tannoudji is halfway decent, but I cannot understand why he lays it out as he does. Slater wrote a text, he used it for graduate level until he finally retired, the first half was used for anyone, the last half for atomic and solid state theorists. I like it very much.

Sakurais' strength lies in his introducing symmetry early, it is good for the budding high energy theory types, but can be lost on the more practically oriented solid state or condensed matter theorists.

my main qm book is by Nouredine Zettilli.

it's got 5 star rating in amazon. Is it good do you guys think?

sniffer.

Landau , not Landau and Lif****z, wrote on in the late 90's which is good.

L. D. Landau died in 1968, it must be a different Landau?

Nope, i'd have said Gallindo & Pascual.

Daniel.

rachmaninoff said:
L. D. Landau died in 1968, it must be a different Landau?

Rubin Landau

Has anyone here tried Powell & Crasemann? It's a pretty old book, but the reviews at amazon seem to be good.

I saw messiah for about 15 pounds or so at amazon.com. Considering that it's pretty huge book it seems like a good deal. Should I get it?

That is the equivalent price of the Dover edition recently published. I'd purchase it, as a matter a fact since this thread has started I started reading it again and am finding morre and more to like about it.

my main qm book is by Nouredine Zettilli...Is it good do you guys think?

Absolutely outstanding. It is as good as any of the others. I recommend this to anyone.

Dr Transport said:
Rubin Landau
It is funny to regard Landau as Rubin Landau,
The QM Book was revised by Lif****z, but the author is really L.D. Landau.
Because Lif****z respects his mentor---L.D. Landau.

How about the book by Merzbacher?

snooper007 said:
It is funny to regard Landau as Rubin Landau,
The QM Book was revised by Lif****z, but the author is really L.D. Landau.
Because Lif****z respects his mentor---L.D. Landau.

No,

There is a Rubin Landau at Oregon State University which wrote a quantum text which is at a higher level than the Landau/Lif****z text you are talking about.

http://www.physics.orst.edu/PhysicsWeb_2001/People/Faculty/Pages_Faculty/landau.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Quantum texts are so varied, as are courses in quantum physics, that the most appropriate book depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are enrolled in a particular course, then get the textbook the lecturer recommends--you probably don't have much choice. If you are a student who is trying to learn ahead of time, get the book that is assigned to the courses that you will probably be studying.

Otherwise, it is indeed a tough choice. The thing about quantum physics is that it has so many aspects to it. Do you want the logico-mathematical foundations? Do you want to be able to do basic calculations of quantum systems? Do you want to be well set up for quantum field theory? Do you want quantum from a group-theoretic perspective for use in particle physics? Do you want to know about interpretations?

I would recommend a different book for each of these and choosing the wrong one could be effectively useless for other purposes. If you become a physicist and have to care about the various aspects, you'll probably read many different quantum texts in time and get different things from each.

So although this doesn't say much about Messiah, it might be useful for some people to hear. If Messiah has been assigned as the book for your course, get it and learn to love it :)

sniffer said:
is messiah quantum physics textbook good?
is it recommended?
I learned QM from Messiah, it is quite good. Especially that now there's a cheap Dover edition.
I do like Sakurai, though (Dr.Transport, what is it you don't like about it ?). It's more concise.

1. Is "Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook" suitable for beginners?

No, this textbook is not recommended for beginners as it assumes prior knowledge of quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts.

2. What topics does "Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook" cover?

This textbook covers a wide range of topics in quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, quantum entanglement, and the Schrödinger equation.

3. Is "Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook" up-to-date with current research?

Yes, the textbook is regularly updated to reflect the latest developments and discoveries in quantum physics.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available for "Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook"?

Yes, the textbook comes with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and additional readings to enhance understanding.

5. What level of mathematics is required for understanding "Messiah Quantum Physics Textbook"?

A strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra is required to fully comprehend the mathematical concepts presented in this textbook.