Double Integral over Elliptical Area: Polar Coordinates and Substitution Method

In summary: In this case ρ = -1, θ = π/2.In summary, the homework equation is a polar equation in which the function ρ is a functional determinant.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

Calculate

[itex]\int \int x dx dy[/itex]

Over the area defined by [itex]1 \leq x^{2} + 4y^{2} \leq 9[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First we'll do the sub:

u = x + y
v = sqrt(3)y

Which gives us the area [itex]1 \leq u^{2} + v^{2} \leq 9, u,v\geq0 [/itex]

and the integral

[itex]\sqrt{3} \int \int u - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} v du dv[/itex]

Now we will switch to polar:

[itex]u^{2} + v^{2} = ρ^{2}[/itex]
[itex]u = ρ cos(θ)[/itex]
[itex]v = ρ sin(θ)[/itex]

Since the functional determinant is ρ, this gives us

[itex]\sqrt{3} \int \int ρ(ρ cos(θ) - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} ρ sin(θ))dρ dθ[/itex]

Since [itex] 1 \leq u^{2} + v^{2} \leq 9[/itex] and [itex]x,y \geq 0[/itex]:
[itex]1 \leq ρ \leq 3, 0 \leq θ \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{3} /3 \int [ρ^{3} cos(θ) - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} ρ^{3} sin(θ)] dθ[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{3} /3 \int [27 cos(θ) - \frac{27}{\sqrt{3}} sin(θ) - cos(θ) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} sin(θ)] dθ[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{3} /3 \int 26 cos(θ) - \frac{26}{\sqrt{3}} sin(θ) dθ[/itex]

Evaluating this between 0 and pi/2 nets something like 26 sqrt(3) blabla. Something terribly off. What am I doing wrong? Been wrestling for hours with the same problem now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not u=x, v=2y?

Goddamnit.

Because the region is bounded by x^2 + 4y^2 + 2xy. Typo...

Gauss M.D. said:
Since [itex] 1 \leq u^{2} + v^{2} \leq 9[/itex] and [itex]x,y \geq 0[/itex]:
[itex]1 \leq ρ \leq 3, 0 \leq θ \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
I don't see any previous mention of [itex]x,y \geq 0[/itex]. Are you sure that's part of the boundary? And the map to a range for θ is not that simple - remember ρ and θ relate to x and y via u and v.

Yeah, x and y are both positive, which means u and v are too.

I am guessing we already identified the issue though. I think I dropped the 2xy somewhere when trying to express the integrand x in u and v... Gonna check.

Gauss M.D. said:
Goddamnit.

Because the region is bounded by x^2 + 4y^2 + 2xy. Typo...

Could you please re-write the whole question exactly? I can't figure out what you mean here.

Gauss M.D. said:
Yeah, x and y are both positive, which means u and v are too.

I am guessing we already identified the issue though. I think I dropped the 2xy somewhere when trying to express the integrand x in u and v... Gonna check.

You didn't answer my second point, that the region 1 ≤ ρ ≤ 3, 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2 is the same as u ≥ 0, v ≥ 0, but it's not the same as x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0. E.g. consider x = -1, y = 1.

What is a messy double integral?

A messy double integral is a type of mathematical calculation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It is called "messy" because the integrand (the function being integrated) can be complex or difficult to solve.

Why is it called a double integral?

A double integral is called "double" because it involves integrating with respect to two variables. In contrast, a single integral only involves one variable.

What is the purpose of solving a messy double integral?

Solving a messy double integral allows us to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional region. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as calculating the volume of an irregularly shaped object or finding the average value of a function over a given area.

How is a messy double integral solved?

A messy double integral is solved by using various techniques, such as substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. It is important to have a good understanding of these techniques and their applications in order to solve a messy double integral effectively.

What are some common mistakes when solving a messy double integral?

Some common mistakes when solving a messy double integral include forgetting to include the limits of integration, mixing up the order of integration, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution to avoid these mistakes.