1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Messy Logic Problem

1. Jan 10, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Really struggling with this logic problem, would be very grateful to anyone willing to help

A v D
    (~B ^ ~C) <==> D
    B ==> ~(C ==> A)
    ---------------------
    ~B

Thanks in advance

Hayden Kee

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly do you want to do? Determine whether or not the argument is valid?

What happens if you take A true, B true, C false, and D false?

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3
    trying to derive the conclusion
    I did eventually work it out by assuming B and C to be true, after which I was able to show that D must be false, which allowed me to Eliminate the D v A disjunction showing that A is the result either way. Therefore I was left with C==>A which proved that my assumption of B must be false because of the third premise.

Thanks,

Hayden

5. Jan 11, 2008 #4
    I've also assumed B and C, with the C sub-derivation ending with A, and the final three lines of the B sub-derivation ending with the following:
    W| C => A
    X| B => ~(C =>A)
    Y| ~(C =>A)

This allows ~I for the conclusion of ~B through the B assumption (line 4), and the contradictory pair on lines W and Y:

Z| ~B 4, W, Y, ~I

What I can't figure out is how to get A on the C sub-derivation. :S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?