Solving High Metabolism & Hunger Problems in Athletes

• Thread starter ConcealedDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metabolism
In summary, the person is experiencing hunger before they go to sleep, during the day, and after exercise. They think that it is due to their high metabolism and their active lifestyle, but they would like to know if they have any medical issues that could be causing the problem.
ConcealedDreamer
Hello. Lately, every night before I slept, I felt very hungry. It use to be solved by just eating a piece of bread. But now, I ate a very big serving for dinner and is still hungry before I slept, even toasting some bread wouldn't help. Not just in the evening, now, when I wake up, afternoon, I feel the exact same thing. I am always really hungry. I worried that I have parasites in my stomach, and my metabolism is very high. I'm not even gaining any weight! How can I solve this problem? Or prevent it from happening? Also, keep in mind I am a very active athelete and is exercising every day.

Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps a visit to a doctor would not hurt, to see if there are any medical conditions that apply.

I find that exercise and greater amounts of activity makes me hungry. Not a surprise since we use a lot of energy in this activity and food is a good way to replenish that supply. However I've found, (at least in my own experience), that hunger before bedtime (or more specifically, perceived hunger), is habit. When I consciously changed my behavior (by not eating at that time), the sensation of hunger also went away.

When you awaken (afternoon or morning) and feel hungry, that's sounds normal. As long as you're staying up for awhile, you have plenty of time to utilize the food.

ConcealedDreamer said:
Hello. Lately, every night before I slept, I felt very hungry. It use to be solved by just eating a piece of bread. But now, I ate a very big serving for dinner and is still hungry before I slept, even toasting some bread wouldn't help. Not just in the evening, now, when I wake up, afternoon, I feel the exact same thing. I am always really hungry. I worried that I have parasites in my stomach, and my metabolism is very high. I'm not even gaining any weight! How can I solve this problem? Or prevent it from happening? Also, keep in mind I am a very active athelete and is exercising every day.

If you are a young person, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Try protein instead of toast.

Fatty meat should take your system longer to digest.

It's probably just that you're an athlete and burning a lot of calories through exercise. My first guess wouldn't be parasites. :tongue2: Are you by any chance eating a low-fat diet? You might just need more fat in your diet to keep you feeling full longer. But, if you're concerned or if you begin to lose weight rather than maintain, it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor to make sure everything is okay and that you don't have any nutrient deficiencies.

1. What is a high metabolism and how does it affect athletes?

A high metabolism refers to the rate at which your body burns calories to produce energy. This can vary among individuals and is influenced by factors such as genetics, age, and activity level. In athletes, a high metabolism can result in increased hunger and difficulty maintaining a healthy weight due to the high energy demands of their training and competition.

2. How can athletes manage their high metabolism and hunger levels?

To manage a high metabolism and hunger levels, athletes should focus on consuming a balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods. This will provide the necessary energy and nutrients to support their training and help regulate their appetite. Eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day can also help keep hunger levels in check.

3. Are there any specific types of foods that can help with high metabolism and hunger in athletes?

Foods that are high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats can help keep athletes feeling fuller for longer and provide sustained energy. Examples include lean meats, eggs, nuts and seeds, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables. It is important for athletes to also stay hydrated and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

4. Can supplements be used to manage high metabolism and hunger in athletes?

While supplements may be marketed as a solution for managing high metabolism and hunger, it is important for athletes to prioritize a balanced diet first. However, certain supplements such as protein powders or meal replacement shakes can be used in conjunction with a healthy diet to help meet the increased energy demands of athletes.

5. Are there any potential risks or concerns with managing high metabolism and hunger in athletes?

As with any dietary changes, it is important for athletes to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian before making significant changes to their diet. Rapid weight loss or extreme dieting can have negative impacts on athletic performance and overall health. It is important for athletes to prioritize their health and focus on fueling their bodies properly for their sport.