Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal Detectors

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Metal Detectors!!!

Guys I an Undergraduate student in Lancaster University (England) and I have a passion for metal detecting when I am not in UNI. Over the years I have spoke many of my lecturers and research staff about the depth of a metal detector and its soul destroying ability to pick up iron. Now so far I have been told that there is no other way of looking into the ground other than these
    http://metaldetectingworld.com/reviews_pulse_metal_detector.shtml
    http://whitesmetaldetector.com/spectrum.shtml [Broken]

Believe me I am not ready to believe that there is no other way. Please if someone has a bright idea of how to make a new one using Solid State Physics or any other method, then please let me know!!! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Metal Detectors!!!

My guess is that if anybody did have a bright new idea they would be looking into developing it and most reluctant to just give the idea away.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 28, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

There are other ways at looking into the ground. Ground-penetrating-radar is used fo ra lot of stuff, and increasingly popular among archaeologists.

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Throw in conductivity measurements.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5

Try googling archeological geophysics.

7. Sep 28, 2009 #6

Conductivity is what the MineLab company use, they are really good detectors but not very deep. The radar machine that the archaeologists use is not very effective because I knew one guy who spend £9500 to get one and it was rubbish and he couldn't even get his refund!!! So any other ideas???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook