Metal Type's Impact on Antenna Performance: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, an antenna's size is determined by the wavelength of the signal that is to be received or transmitted. A copper wire of 1 mm in diameter will create an antenna that is 1 mm in length.
ramonegumpert
Hello Experts,

I am a novice trying to make a small atenna for GSM signals.
I tried using insulated iron wire.
Its my 1st time experimenting with antennas.

My question is how does the type of metal used affect an antenna?

For example, some use copper wire. Will it have a better effect?

Have a nice day.

regards
Ramone
:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is one case of 'Nekkid is better'. Since the purpose of an antenna is to pick up an electrical signal out of the air, using an insulated iron wire was not the best choice.

Hello friends,

if I use non-insulated copper wire, is there a way to calculate or know how thick the wire should be and how many turns needed for GSM frequency band?

Also, phone antennas are now inside phones. It is more amplification used that allow shorter antennas?

regards
Ramone

Antenna design is properly its own discipline. The size of an antenna is determined to a large extent by the wavelength of the signal which is to be received or transmitted. Cell phones use a very high frequency portion of the EM spectrum, hence, their antennas can be relatively small. For ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) radio, which is used to communicate with submarines below the water's surface, the antenna arrays can cover an area of several square miles. Remember, EM signals propagate at light speed, c, so the wavelength is determined by dividing c by the frequency of the signal.

Thanks SteamKing.

I see that some external GSM antennas are monopole or dipole and some have a few turns along the antenna length. These are small turns and few windings only. I would like to know what effect the turns have on the antennas. Does it add length to the antenna without becoming too long? Is it purely to induce more signal?

Dear Experts,

I have calculated the wavelenght for my GSM frequency. From this wavelength, can you let me know how to derive the length of the antenna. I intend to use a straight copper wire of about 1 mm in diameter. Is it that it should be length of the wavelength?

regards
Ramone

Last edited:
Oh, I found out how to calculate the antenna length. Its Wavelength / 2.

regards
Ramone.

What is the best type of metal for an antenna?

The best type of metal for an antenna depends on several factors such as the frequency range, size, and location of the antenna. Generally, copper, aluminum, and steel are commonly used for antenna construction due to their high conductivity and low resistance. However, for higher frequency antennas, materials such as gold, silver, and platinum may be more suitable.

Can I use any type of metal for an antenna?

No, not all types of metal are suitable for antenna construction. Metals with high resistivity such as stainless steel and iron should be avoided as they can cause significant signal loss. Additionally, metals that corrode easily may also not be suitable for outdoor antennas.

How does the size of the metal affect the performance of the antenna?

The size of the metal used for an antenna can greatly impact its performance. Generally, larger metals have a lower resistance and can transmit and receive signals more efficiently. However, the size also depends on the frequency range of the antenna. For example, for lower frequency antennas, larger metals may be required, while for higher frequency antennas, smaller metals may be more suitable.

What are the advantages of using metal for antenna construction?

Metal is the preferred material for antenna construction due to its high conductivity and low resistance, which allows for efficient transmission and reception of signals. Additionally, metal is a durable material that can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it suitable for outdoor antennas. It is also readily available and cost-effective.

Are there any drawbacks to using metal for antenna construction?

One drawback of using metal for antenna construction is that it can be heavy, which may make it difficult to install and maintain. Additionally, some metals may corrode over time, especially in harsh environments, which can affect the performance of the antenna. It is important to choose a suitable type of metal and properly maintain the antenna to avoid these issues.