Metal in a microwave

  • Thread starter Yoni
  • Start date
  • #1
65
1

Main Question or Discussion Point

When you put a metal (conducting) spoon inside a microwave, it takes a few seconds, and then you get sparks, that might damage the microwave.
I heard (and cowardly hadn't tested) that putting a spoon inside a cup of water would allow a long 5 minute heating, no sparks and no damage.
The riddle is: Would the water heat up? Would the spoon? And if so, which part of the spoon would heat up the dipped part or the exposed handle of the spoon?

Once I'd firmly know the physics behind this, I can finally heat up a cup of tea without taking the spoon out, which would save me a lot of time... :)
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
9,037
2,425
You can find a simplified explanation about putting spoons (maybe) and forks (no-no) in a microwave here. BTW, how much time do you spend putting a spoon in and taking it out of a cup? Have you thought of using a plastic spoon?
 

Related Threads on Metal in a microwave

  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
21K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
5K
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
20
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
12K
Replies
18
Views
3K
Top