Why Shouldn't You Put Metal Pots in a Microwave?

In summary, the microwave oven uses powerful microwave radiation to induce surface currents and voltage on metal pots, similar to what happens with a dish antenna pointed at a satellite. This high energy can cause the pot to heat to extremely high temperatures and potentially melt plastic components. The build-up of voltage can lead to sparks and a potentially explosive discharge. This can trigger a fire alarm and sprinkler system.
tgt
What would happen? Why

Science news on Phys.org
The powerful microwave radiation induces surface currents and voltage on the metal pots. Kinda like what happens on a surface of a dish antenna pointing at the satellite up in the sky, but on a very high energy level.

The microwave oven uses a powerful oscillator that puts a ton of Electromagnetic (EM) energy (mine puts 1100 watts of it!) into the chamber. High EM energy = extremely high surface currents on the metal objects and extremely high voltages on sharp points. High currents = high energy dissipating as heat, and high voltage means arcing to other (mostly metal) parts inside the microwave oven itself.

Given this is what goes on here is what might happen if you put a metal pot in it: the metal pot will heat and heat until its red hot and temps exceeding 1000 degree Celsius, The plastic door etc. will melt, some radiation will start to leak out, and in the mean time the voltage build and builds... and finally there will be some sparks and then BOOM! A spectacular explosive discharge (I am pretty sure most of the discharge will be into the source of the microwaves - the magnetron oscillator itself). You've got a lightning discharge from the pot to wherever there is a low electric potential...

After that...well, you know the usual stuff...the smoke alarm and fire sprinkler will go off and fire department comes, and ...

Metal pots should not be used in microwaves because they can cause sparks and potentially damage the microwave. Microwaves work by emitting electromagnetic radiation that causes water molecules in food to vibrate, creating heat and cooking the food. Metal objects in the microwave can reflect or absorb the microwaves, causing electrical currents to form and potentially creating sparks. This can damage the microwave and also create a fire hazard. Additionally, metal pots are not microwave-safe and can release harmful chemicals into the food when heated. It is important to only use microwave-safe containers and utensils when using a microwave to ensure safety and proper functioning.

1. Can I put metal pots in the microwave?

It is generally not recommended to put metal pots in the microwave. While some types of metal may be safe to use, most metals reflect microwaves and can cause sparks or fires.

2. Why do metal pots spark in the microwave?

Metal pots spark in the microwave because they reflect the microwaves instead of absorbing them. This can cause a buildup of electrical energy, leading to sparks or even a fire.

3. What types of metal are safe to use in the microwave?

Some types of metal, such as stainless steel and aluminum foil, are generally considered safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when using any metal in the microwave.

4. Can I cover my food with a metal pot in the microwave?

No, it is not safe to cover your food with a metal pot in the microwave. The metal will reflect the microwaves and can cause sparks or fires. Instead, use a microwave-safe cover or paper towel.

5. What happens if I accidentally put a metal pot in the microwave?

If a metal pot is accidentally put in the microwave, it can cause sparks or a fire. Stop the microwave immediately and remove the metal pot. If there is any damage or smoke, do not use the microwave and contact a professional for assistance.