1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal ring repelled from AC coaxial coil

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    I thought people helped on this forum?

If anything is unclear just ask, I'm checking for posts every minute. Come on people I have to get this done by 5 pm. I've gotten a little further. I believe it has something to do with mutual inductance.

A metal ring (no current) is brought close to a solonoid (coil with n turns), the solonoid has an alternating current running through it; explain using equations why the ring is repelled. (the ring is directly above the axis of the solonoid).

I think the di/dt of the coil induces an emf in the ring that follows Lenz's Induction Law and in turn creates a magnetic field with polarities facing each other, so they repel. I need this in equation form though. (Is my reasoning even correct?)... Please help.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted